MK9 vs MK40

MellowMikey

This is not to start a caliber war, I am merely curious as to the difference in recoil between the two.
I have been shooting Silvertips in my MK9 and find them to be mild and controlable, I suspect that the MK40 would be a little stouter in recoil with standard loads.
FWIW, I shoot 10mm, 44mag, etc, I am not recoil sensitive at all.
Any input is welcome, I may have to get a MK40 for my other front pocket. :D:D

Mikey, Kahr convert. :D

I'll be curious to see the results too. I am 98% sure I am gonna get a MK40 for my carry gun. I shoot a USP40, 686 .357, .454 Casull.

Mk9 vs. Mk40

Hello: I sold a K40 Covert, regular-length slide and short Mk grip because the recoil was unpleasant enough that I didn't like shooting it. I am much happier with my Mk9

Best

Jeff

My MK9 is very controllable. Couldn't speak to the MK40, since I've never shot one before. If 6+1 9mm +P Gold Dots doesn't solve the problem, more than likely no pistol will -- in a defensive shooting situation at least.

Mikey,

I am a Kahr fan too. They are excellent pistols.

The 9 and the 40 are a world apart in recoil.

I had a P9, loved it. It was utterly reliable for me and as small a 9 as I could find. Then I found a Colt Pocket Nine. That's another story.

At the same time I was searching for the ultimate, smallest, most powerful pistol I could get with the intention of concealed carry. I bought a Kimber Ultra and found it was a big mistake for me, the recoil was unmanageable. Sold it.

Shot a Kahr MK40. Loved it, bought one. It was, IMHO, the perfect combination of small and powerful. A little heavy, but with all that power it is welcome weight. For me it is just below the threshold of being unmanageable. If it kicked any harder I would not like it. It is not a pistol that I take out and shoot a hundred rounds through at the range. If you do, you will have a sore hand.

But, for a close in encounter, it is manageable, accurate and packs a lot of punch. But it does kick like a small mule.

Thought you Kahr guys would enjoy this little story that happened to me today in our range. This doesn't address the MK9 v. MK40, but I think you'll be interested.

I was shooting my MK9 with Triton 9mm +P Quik Shok, to see if it would cycle OK on Fernando's premier round. First shot a box of standard ball, then on to the Triton. I was about 2 mags of Triton through the gun, and looked down on the shooting bench and saw a BROKEN STAINLESS ROLL PIN!

OH NO, I BROKE IT!!!

Unloaded the gun and ran for the computer (nice to work at your own indoor pistol range where you can do this!), looked up Kahr.com and the parts breakdown.... WHEW! no roll pins.

Major relief.

While I'm doing this on the computer, the boss pulls a stainless K9 out of the case, and it has a roll pin! A Slide Stop Spring Retainning Pin (that looked just like the broken pin I found)is used on the bigger guns but not the MK series.

Moral of the story (or perhaps mental note to self): look for broken parts on the bench BEFORE you shoot!

BTW, Triton QS functioned flawlessly in my MK9, as do all of Fernando's products. Real loud.

And I will chime in and say that I use Triton Quik Shok in all of my carry pistols now including my MK40.

My understanding is that the 40 S&W does not come in a +p round, so I think the Quik Shoks are at the limit of the SAMMI spec because they sure have some kick in 40.

I have one of each. I use SilverTips in them both, and feel the slightly higher kick in the .40 is no problem at all. Factory wood grips are just a tad wider, and spread the hit out a bit more. The MK 9 give me a cheaper round for practice. Gary

I HAD both (GD's toting the .40 now :) ). The 9mm is all-around pleasant to shoot, despite it's size. The .40 was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I did notice the extra kick. Still not too bad though.

The MK40 actually recoiled about the same as my P9, which my wife will not shoot because she likes her MK9 so much better. I'd imagine that the P40 is a booger for recoil.

Question for you Mk owners. Does the gun work on a striker firing system?

If so is the pin normally "cocked" or "un-cocked"? Ie for those of you who know the P99, is it like the P99 with the pin released?

Thanks

Back