MK or P?

lapdog

Inactive
Need a little help from the board. Am a recent convert from Glocktalk, good board,but need a little too focused for this question. Will be getting my CCP in the mail in the near future and as a reward I am looking for a new concelable "toy". I have a G17,sig239 in .40,a full sized mil-spec .45 and am looking for a almost always gun in 9mm. Was thinking of a G26, but they seem just a little too fat for my small hands and being 5'5"I want something thin. So would the MK9 or the P9 be a better choice for an everyday carry weapon. My real question is is the weight of the MK a big deal to those who carry it. Thanks, great board

I carry just about every day, in an Alessi pocket holster, front pocket in jeans, and the weight is no longer an issue. Feels a little wierd to go out with an empty pocket. When firing .40s, that weight is your friend. Gary

MK40 vs. P9

I have both the MK40 and the P9, and I would recommend the P9 if you have to choose between the two. Both guns are great, but the P9 weight advantage is real, and you don't pay for it on the firing line in 9mm as much as you would in .40 S&W. One thing, though: with the MK40, I can wear the gun OWB with just a polo or t-shirt and the thing is concealed. The shorter grip really does make a difference. That's why I'm hoping for an MP9!

Mark
jmb@sarpedon.com

Having owned the MK9, MK40, and P9, I can say that... it depends (surprise) :) .

For pocket carry, the MK series is the way to go. The MK9 IMHO feels lighter than the MK40. Although they FEEL heavier, they are actually the same weight as the Glock 26/27 when loaded.

I carry the P9, and LOVE it's light weight, plus the ability to get my whole hand on the grip, but it's no pocket pistol :( . I carry it IWB-SOB, strong-side pancake, or bellyband cross-draw.

Like Sarpedon, and MANY other Kahr converts, I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the eventual release of the MP series of pistols. There will be NOTHING above .380 to compare to the size and weight of such a pistol.

Although there is a company (Scott MacDougall & Associates)who will shorten the grip of the P9 to the size of the MK9, it costs an extra $400, and doesn't address the barrel and slide length. I'll just keep my P9 as is, and save that $400 for the MP9....

Well I had the same trouble as you deciding between the mk9 and the p9 so I did the logical thing and bought both. Sometimes I feel like its a mk9 day and sometimes it a p9 day.

i have both.

the mk9 works flawlessly.

the p9 doesn't work, even after a trip to the factory.

so right now, i can't recommend a p9 at all. i'm going to send it back again & if they can make it work, the p9 will have a lot going for it. it's a lot lighter than the mk9.

Back