mixing revolver carry with semi auto

ghbucky01

I am relatively now to CCDW, and I inherited a Ruger SP101 2" bbl .357. I also purchased a 1911 4" bbl.

I started carrying the Ruger, but as I got more comfortable, I began carrying the 1911.

As I started enjoying the 1911 at the range, I got into a shooting league and began using the 1911 a lot for practice. I began adopting the thumb forward grip for stability and accuracy.

However, tonight I did a few practice draws with the SP, and found that my instinctive grip would expose myself to the cylinder blast by going thumb forward.

Do any of you mix revolver and semi-auto carry guns and use a thumb forward grip with semis?

If so, how do you avoid this issue?

--- Or, should I trade the revolver for a compact semi?

However, tonight I did a few practice draws with the SP, and found that my instinctive grip would expose myself to the cylinder blast by going thumb forward.

Not an issue unless you are shooting the big boomers like .454 and the 500 mag, although even with .44mag and Heavy +P .45 Colt I wouldn't try it. I used to shoot my S&W 60 at the range with a thumbs forward grip and full power .357 rounds, the most it did was leave powder residue on my thumb and a slight tingling feeling. Don't sweat it and keep carrying the revolver. Many competition revolver shooters actually shoot with a thumbs forward grip, although they are using light .38 target loads.

It's usually only a problem with folks with long fingers, er, thumbs.
The thumb forward technique can still work, by bending the forward thumb first joint downward.

I shot revolvers before 1911s and learned the thumbs forward years after that so maybe this is the reason I have not experienced this problem. Every time you shoot a 1911 at range, pop a few out of the revolver. Muscle memory

Mixing it up and doing "the gun of the day" is OK as long as you don't get confused and die pulling the trigger of a cocked-and-locked 1911 thinking it is your S&W 686.

Jim

I split the diff and wear both

I use numerous platforms for daily wear, and I hold all autos the same, and all revolvers the same, but I hold autos and revolvers different :D

If you want to carry more than one design you'll need to train enough that each one gets it's own set of reflexive action. I've shot enough that it doesn't matter if I have a DA revolver, 1911, DA/SA auto or even a SA revolver my hands automaticly adjust grip and I can function controls without concience thought. I do avoid any controls that conflict IE safetys should go down to fire.

@ Jim....why would you want a semi-auto with a safety....lol. seriously though, one should train a lot so that doesn't happen. I went to a great class years ago where you were handed empty weapons with your eyes closed and you had to make them ready to fire without looking. I still practice that.

When shooting with two hands, I hold all of my handguns with the support hand thumb wrapped tightly over the strong (shooting) hand curled thumb grip.This grip helps to keep my strong hand thumb out of harm's way in terms of inadvertently interferring with the various levers (take-down, safety/decocker) associated with different semi-autos and, as a bonus, keeps the support hand thumb in position to cock the hammer of any type (sa or da) revolver if I so choose. Works well for me when transitioning between revolvers and autos because I can retain the same grip for either type handgun.

mixing revolver carry with semi auto

Due to having grown up with S&W K frame and Colt 'O' frame guns I know both types very very well.

I pack a Glock in the winter and S&W J .38/.357 in the summer. But I have now qualms about packing one of my Sigs, Colt 1911s, Brownings, or such. In fact several are good to go as-is.

But, if I was new at the game I'd just pick one till I got real good with it and then in time train myself to use the other type well.

Deaf

Yes, I mix up my carry from time to time....with full sized 1911's ....and usually a S&W revolver K frame ....and I'll sometimes mix in a Sig 239 as well....

Training / Range time ...is the key !

I'm a little quicker with my 1911's....

I alternate between a revolver and an automatic... but I'm of the old school who learned to shoot one-handed, so there's no chance of me wrapping my off-hand into the cylinder gap blast area.

"Boy, if they'd meant for you to use both hands to shoot that thing, they'd've put two handles on it!"
- a long-ago instructor

+1 to what boon docker said . . .

I usually carry a Smith 36 snobby but I also carry a 9mm SR9 once in a while . . it all depends on where I'm going and going to be at . . .

I practice . . . a lot . . . and when I grip my 36, my hands instinctively go to the hold required to grip the 36. The same with the SR 9.

I really think the problem between "cross carrying" for want of a different term, is when people get "lax" and don't practice and shoot their weapons to keep familiar with them. It takes more than a trip to the range every few months and firing a few rounds. Training never stops . . .

I used to shoot my S&W 60 at the range with a thumbs forward grip and full power .357 rounds, the most it did was leave powder residue on my thumb and a slight tingling feeling.

If I watch for it, I can see the side blast from my Charter Undercover. No way I'm sticking any extremity in the way of that.

If I watch for it, I can see the side blast from my Charter Undercover. No way I'm sticking any extremity in the way of that.

No big deal, like I said all it did was leave some powder residue on my finger and a slight tingling feeling with no ill effect. The blast from the cylinder gap on your charter will be no greater than it was on my model 60.

Not sure how to help, I carry and shoot both, and somehow just naturally change my thumb position. I guess the feel of the grips is different enough to let my muscle memory for each style kick in when appropriate.

After reading everyone telling me to just practice I threw the SP in the range bag yesterday and after 150 rounds from the Kimber I ran 30 rounds through the revolver.

I'll make a point to keep doing that on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone.

Back