Mixed wheel weights?

As a new caster I've been reading many posts trying to build my knowledge, the more I learn the more questions I have............ Here's one for example. I got a pretty decent score of W.W.'s today, 'bout 150 lbs regular and about 50 lbs. stick on. I shoot pistol mostly, low velocity target rounds out of my revolvers. I would also like to shoot 9mm out of my glock, yes I have an aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel, as not to cause problems with the stock polygonal barrel. My question is should I mix the two types of W.W.'s or are the stick on type to soft to make a good mix? Yea, I know I need to get the Lyman casting book also......................:rolleyes: Thanks for your input guys!

I like to melt the stick ons seperately because they are so close to pure lead, it becomes a know factor. I also like to melt my clip ons in batches and then homogenize by melting from each batch so that your metal is all the same. It is a pain in the pooper, and the gents in here who can do 100lbs+ at a whack are miles ahead when it comes to getting a homogenous bunch of metal. I'm told is you don't plan on doing much shooting, a Lyman or RCBS luber sizer will work just fine.

No since it is pure lead you do not simply mix it in. DOn't you know the CAS will give you too much money for it or 2/1 weight for alloy or WW's?

This is the stuff shotgun slugs are cast from, nice and soft. This is the stuff you mix 20/1 for 45/70 slugs.

My advice, set this stuff aside and just cast with WW's. Some time in the future you will either develop a use for it or use it's worth to get you more of what you do need.

Back