Mitchell Mauser

BikerRN

I was looking at Mitchell Mausers and was wondering what the quality of them are?

I was interested in one of their "Tanker" rifles in 30-06 with a long eye relief scope as a general purpose rifle. I like the looks, but have questions regarding the reliability and accuracy. I've seen very few of them on the store shelves, and I've never shot one, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to the various replies I hope to receieve.

Biker

Biker, you might want to read this thread (last year in C&R) -- lots of opinions (how un-TFL-like... ;)) and quite a bit of specific information there...The consensus there is that Mitchell's Mausers are overpriced and tarted-up (many assembled from motley sources and with serial numbers sometimes faked to make them match). So, not collectible at all... how they shoot is another question, but they're likely overpriced if you're mostly looking for a shooter.

Have you looked at Classic Arms at all? They're a better company, as far as I can tell.

I don't know anyone who's shot them. They're overpriced rebuilds so save your money and buy a real military surplus rifle.

Biker.
On GunBroker right now as I type are both a Mitchell Tanker in .30-06 and an FN Mauser "Tanker" Carbine in .30-06. Neither are cheap, but they're there for the bidding should you want to... FWIW

Although (as far as I know) MMs have never fallen apart on anyone nor are they less accurate than an average milsurp rifle, they don't seem to be ranked numero uno among a number of the reasons some people buy milsurp rifles:
1. name recognition
2. easily placed historical context
3. bragging rights
4. resale value

There are a number of countries that purchased then warehoused bolt action 30-06 rifles. Others converted theirs to 30-06 and then stored them. Keep your eyes open, do some research, and you will probably find a nice example within 6 months.

The Tankers are totally new Mausers made for Mitchell's by Zastava, they are not rebuilds.
I have no experience with them personally, but I have discussed them with Mitchell's.
Regarding the surplus Yugomausers, I do.
I have an M48 and a 24/47.

I have no reason to believe either of those two is a mismatchedcobbledtogether, and both shoot well. The 24/47 as it came outshoots a Weatherby Vanguard with a scope at 100 yards.
Both Mausers came in essentially as-new condition, and that's exactly what I was looking for. I wanted "new" shooters, not beat-to-hell relics & could not care less about collectability.

I was perfectly happy to pay their prices, delighted to have somebody else de-pickle them. :)
Mitchell receives them encased in what they call a bee's wax-like blob, and I frankly have no interest in dealing with that, well worth a hundred bucks or so to me to have the gun operational when it arrives.

Other Mitchell's Mausers may or may not be altered to some degree, but I dislike seeing the company dismissed out of hand on all their guns based on rumors regarding a few.
Prices are high, and collectability may be low, but if you're looking for a shooter & know what you're doing, you can achieve your goal.

Know what they are & what they are not, and like any other company- if they offer something that appeals, buy it.
If they don't, don't.

Denis

I gotta agree with you. I have "de-pickled" two K98ks and it is a serious chore. You never really know what kind of bore you are getting or what is underneath that mess.

I de-pickled a surplus Chinese government SKS in '88, that was enough for me and it wasn't anywhere near as gunked up as the Yugomausers come. :)
I will cheerfully shell out a hundred above what others may offer as a base price to get a clean gun ready to go.

Both of mine are quite nice shooters in great shape, and I'm perfectly satisfied with what I got for my money.

I knew they weren't collectors, I was looking for a reliable UTV gun that rides easily in a scabbard & one I don't have to worry about dinging up in the wilds. :)

While not German, there is still a bit of interesting history to them, too.
Denis

The importer info should usually be on the front of the barrel.
If not, it'll be somewhere else visible.
Denis

I own and shoot a mitchells mauser. It is a russian capture rifle, but in beautiful shape. It is a true german m98 k98k. I don't believe that it was a put together rifle. The barrel and action are super smooth. I actually am trying to sell it with some reloading supplies to help fund 450 bushmaster project. It isn't a tanker and it in caliber 8x57. I'm selling it with a set of reloading dies, brass and some nosler bullets. let me know if you are interested in seeing some pics or not. Fellow shooter, Brian.

I'm actually thinking of building one, with the help of a Gunsmith.

I've located an older Mauser, new stock, and now I just have a rechambering question in the Gunsmithing section. I'll have to decide which way to go.

Biker

Anybody done much with one of these Tankers since the original thread's run?

Finally went ahead with a project, the gun came in last week & it looks quite well done out of the box.
It's at the gunsmith now having a safety swap, a good rubber pad installed to replace the steel cap, and a Rock Solid Mosin Nagant bolt handle attached for quicker & more efficient access than the factory bent bolt.

Action was fairly slick, it'll be a smidge "slickier", and the factory trigger will be cleaned up slightly.

The result should be a great little .30-06 truck or ATV carbine.
Denis

I've never heard anyone complain about the performance of MMs. The complaining always centers around being overpriced and non-authentic, both of which apply. But if you want a clean, reliable shooter, they will do the job. Just expect basically any of them to be refurbished.

Back