Mis-marked S&W. is it worth more?

Grayfox

I posted this in Harley Nolans forum and didn't get an answer. I thought I'd move it here and see if anybody knows as I'm really curious.

A friend was showing me a gun his father left him. Its a K-frame S&W .38 spl with adj. sights and a four inch heavy barrel that was bought in 1968. For all intents and purposes, its the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. The gun is in excellent condition having maybe 200 rounds put through it in its whole life.
Here's the thing, the gun is marked Model 14. The books I have say that the only difference between the 14 and 15 is the barrel length. 14s should have six inch barrels and 15s should have four inch barrels. He has the original box and sales reciept which confirm that this is indeed a Model 14 with a four inch barrel.
So, the question is, does the fact that the factory marked this gun wrong add any to its value? Does it give it any special collector's value? Or is it just a fine old revolver that he can just shoot and enjoy?

I had a experience with something like this last week. Was at the dealer with a friend looking for .357 Magnums and we both saw two fine 586 Distinguished Combat Magnums or so we thought. They turned out to be 586's, but in .38 Special only. Talk to a few friends, S&W, did some post and it was confirmed that the 586 have been made in this format. They are export models that sometimes are sold here in the States.

Value, I am sure that there has to be some added value, it's rare. It is worth something to someone, but that should not stop your friend from indulging in shooting a fine revolver. If a collector can shoot a million dollar, one of a kind luger, shooting this gun will not diminish its value. Tell your friend to enjoy that gun.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 04, 1999).]

I can only offer a layman's perspective that I would suspect that it is worth something. I suggest you write Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian, c/o S&W and ask him about it. He may give you an interesting response.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have a Model 17 .22 that is "mis marked" it is a Model 18 4" barrel. What I found out from S&W is it was part of the inital runn of guns with the 4" barrel length made before the Model 18 name was decided on. Unfortunatly it has no extra value now, but that could change in 40 or 50 years. That is based upon what I have seen 1900 vintage S&W go for.

First, let me express my great thanks to HS who put me in touch will a very knowledgeable S&W collector who goes by the handle of Smithnut. My thanks to him also.

For those of you who expressed an interest in this post, below you will find a copy of the e-mail Smithnut sent me regarding this revolver. Unfortunatly, the gun my friend has does not fall into the specific serial number range he listed. However, the info provided does answer the question posted.
BTW: Sorry, the gun ain't for sale and if it was, it wouldn't get past me anyway. ;)

Your friend's gun is not actually "mis-marked", but it
is truly an unusual piece. As you mention, you "normally" don't see M14's
in barrel lengths other than 6" or 8 3/8", but they have done some
interesting pieces over they years. My reference information indicates that
S&W produced a quantity of 184 of the 4" Model 14's in 1965, in the serial
number range of K623343 - K624495. I am not sure where they were shipped.
These would be marked as Model 14-2 (second engineering change). Smith has
done some interesting things over the years. There are some nickeled M14's
out there. Also, have seen other rare things like 5" barreled M15's
(really!!). After the Model 14 was dropped from production, Smith actually
made some Model 15's in 6" and 8 3/8" (6" from 86092, and 8 3/8" from 86-87,
not sure of the quantities).
As far as "collector" value, sure there are always guys out there looking
for versions that they don't currently have (me included). I would say it
should fetch a slight premium over the standard M14's out there, but they
are not bringing big dollars these days, as they are .38 special, and these
don't usually sell well.
Is your friend interested in selling?