Mis-fire question re: Walther P99

Malyk

Inactive
First, hello all.

Second, About 3 weeks ago I went out and purchased a Walther P99 in .40 (my first handgun, or rifle for that matter) and went out to the range with it. I put 150 rounds through it and had about 10-12 mis-fires during that time. These happened anywhere from the 2nd to 8th rounds in a magazine (was only firing 5 round mags. for most of the time at the range), with both magazines that came with the gun.

The first time this happened I ejected the round and examined it. There was nothing wrong with it at all. It looked like it was fresh out of the box. So I set it aside and 3 shots later the same thing happened. Again, I ejected the round and examined it and again, there was nothing wrong. So I put the second mis-fire back in the magazine and it fired fine the second time. So then I put the first mis-fire back in and it fired fine.

Every once in awhile for the rest of the day I would get a mis-fire, and then just go on with a double-action trigger pull and the bullet would shoot fine. The only thing was that we went from SA to DA. Not really a big deal, but slightly annoying.

My question is really three-fold. First, is this anyone has seen or heard before? Second, is this a big deal? After all, everything is great with the second trigger pull. And third, I'm a little hesitant to send this to S&W to have them look at it. Am I being silly, or should I find someone else to take a look at it if necessary?

What seems to be happening is that the striker isn't hitting the fireing pin, or if it is, the firing pin isn't moving due to the safeties. But I don't have enough experience to really know.

Finally, some of you are probably worried that I was shooting rounds that mis-fired. AS I said above, the firing pin never hit them. The primers were 'pristine'...hjusty as they were when they came out of the box.

Oh, I was using cheap PMC ammo, but again, I don't think it was a problem with the ammunition.

What do you think?

Mike

I think you should try 100 rounds of reasonably good ammo (Federal American Eagle and Winchester USA come to mind) and see if the problem continues. The PMC ammo, some of which is made in Korea, may have some non-obvious problem such as a hard primer. If it isn't the ammo, then something odd is going on with the gun. At least you will know it isn't the cheapo ammo.

The P99 is a pretty good pistol and they usually go "bang" in my experience.

i have the p-99 in 9mm, and have fired just about every 9mm ammo that i came accross with it, never failed to go bang. please let me know what further developments you have with it. i'm curious.

Adept

If the gun is functioning properly 99 % of the time, the problem is most probably the quality of the used ammo. Check it out and let us know. (I never had problems of any kind with my P99 in 9 mm).

Have you tried removing and relubing the firing pin assembly? It's fairly easy to remove (Just follow the manual), and would be the first thing I would check.

My P99 9mm has always gone bang every time.

FWIW, the early 5K ser. #'d 9mm P99 have has never so much as bobbled. However, do agree on keeping the striker & channel free of oil and the gunk it can cause to build up.

Back