Minute of tin can .357 rifle for $300

YoSamTFL

I want a .357 rifle, <$300, simply for plinking with .38's. Minute of tin can at 100 yards. Iron sights, respectable trigger or at least not a crappy one, or at least one that can be smoothed out, lol. I don't care if it's single shot or bolt. I'd love a lever but that ain't gonna happen in my price range. Oh, I guess it should be scope capable, but everything is today.

Is there anything made currently? If not, what are common used ones? Thanks.

Clueless...

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of guidance for you, except that if you somehow manage to scrape up enough money for any of the lever-action carbines in .44 mag or .357, you'll be glad you did. I have a Rossi Winchester M1892 replica in .45 Colt, that I genuinely LOVE to shoot.

The only other thing I can tell you is that I've made noises about wanting to buy pump-action .357s (colt thunderer replica, Timberwolf carbine) on multiple occasions, and was discouraged from doing so, because they tended to be fragile, particularly with respect to the actuating arms. So if you find one for $300, there could be lots wrong with it.

I have a Handi-Rifle in .357 magnum. It's okay, but doesn't have any sights. Comes with a scope mount. Unfortunately, the high external hammer makes scope mounting a bit awkward. You either need a scope with really long eye relief (or a red dot) to put in front of the hammer, or you need to mount really high to clear the hammer, which pulls my head off the stock. Trigger is okay.

The guns also has a heavy barrel and weighs too much for my taste (for a plinking gun). If I were to do it again, i'd probably pass on it.

If you increase the budget a bit, you might consider a Rossi R92 lever action.

gadget

You need one of those lever extension gadgets on the scoped Handi Rifle, I think Uncle Mikes sells them.

A .357 carbine is a very useful gun by the way. Mines a lever, but even the single shots should share many of the same useful aspects. A wide variety of ammo available, from mild wadcutters to deer and hog loads. Bamaboys first step up from a .22, was a .357 carbine.

I have a Handi-Rifle in .357 magnum. It's okay, but doesn't have any sights. Comes with a scope mount. Unfortunately, the high external hammer makes scope mounting a bit awkward. You either need a scope with really long eye relief (or a red dot) to put in front of the hammer, or you need to mount really high to clear the hammer, which pulls my head off the stock. Trigger is okay.

The guns also has a heavy barrel and weighs too much for my taste (for a plinking gun). If I were to do it again, i'd probably pass on it.

If you increase the budget a bit, you might consider a Rossi R92 lever action.

Yeah, I suspect you are right. If the Handi Rifle was iron sighted, I think I'd buy one right now. But adding optics takes it up to the price of a Rossi 92, more or less. I could have a smith add irons to the Handi, but again, why spend that extra money. <thinking....>

I've had two Savage O/Us, one in .357mag and a Handi-Rifle in .243 and find break-open rifles are a pain when shooting from the bench (sighting-in or testing ammo). They also tend to string shots vertically.

With todays inexpensive bolt actions costing under $300, it makes little sense for an adult to use a Handi-Rifle, but they can be a good first CF rifle for a kid. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

I would start looking at Gunbroker for a used one. Handis (like mine) used to come with nice open sights and ejectors instead of extractors. With loss of new Handis, the old ones will go fast.

H&R and NEF single shots are the cheapest you'll find in .357 that are new. I haven't shot one in .357 but I like my NEF. If you are willing to go used other manufactures made break action rifles and you'll find them in your price range easily. My .45-70 was $200. It had sights, scope mount, and hammer extension. The gun did have a plastic stock though. Dad bought one from the same place in .30-06 with a fancy (for NEF) stock for $200 as well. I bet you might be able to buy a used Rossi lever action for $300 if you shop around. Avoid pumps and autos in your price range unless they don't know what they have. I'm not aware of a bolt action. Although a tad more that your budget, look into the Savage 24. You might find one in your range.

I recently bought a Handi in .300 Blackout. It's going to be my plinker and a hunting rifle for my grandsons. This rifle is tiny and light and will take a little getting used to. Maybe someday if I can afford it, I'll go through the process to get a silencer for it.

Tony

Rossi & Marlin are the only lever guns out there for new/current production. The Rossi ones goes for just under $500 on Cheaper than Dirt. The Ruger M77/357 is next, but it's pricey. A stainless one online listed for $650

You could look online for used single shots on GunBroker, Auction Arms or the other firearm auction sites/selling sites.

I've been thinking of getting one. The ability to use the same ammo in a pistol and long gun appeals to me.

Your budget will be hard to match though....things are not as cheap as they use to be...... Get to know a few gun shops in your area, and give the word what you are looking for. They might give you a call if someone comes in to trade....

Read the CTD web ad. The .357 Handi is now "discontinued".

Most handi-holics have convinced themselves that NEF/Handi is about to go out of business. The barrel accessory program has been abandoned and they answer their phone about one day a week.(different day each week)

If you can get one used, it is a good plinker. After a $400 trip to D&T custom, my .357 is now a .357 MAX with a recrowned 16 1/2" barrel, a 2# trigger and a custom bedded scope base. It shoots MOA to 200 yds. with a 180 gr. bullet.

Back