• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Minimum search term length

Dorcas

Is it possible to adjust the minimum search term length from 3 letters to 2? I'm considering buying a new handgun and logged on today to do a little research. Unfortunately I wanted to research S&W model 66's, Cz's and Kimbers (especially type II Kimbers), because each of these had a term less then three letters, I couldn't do a search on them.

Thanks.

bkm..

Dorcas-
Not possible-
The TFL Search is real efficient because of the way it's designed. The drawback is the size of the files. They're enormous. Default for the search function is 4 letters. We lowered it to 3. If we drop it to 2, the files just become unwieldy.

This has come up before and it's been demonstrated that, with a bit of ingenuity, one can generally focus down on almost any topic.
Sorry for the hassle.
Rich

Thanks Rich and PF, I appreciate the response. I read the other thread and see the problems associated with shorter terms.

Thanks again.

bkm...

States - like [WA] or (WA)

I understand the reason on the indexing, so I guess I'm looking for a work-around from greater minds than mine.

Sometimes I am trying to find a thread that I remember something about or want to make sure that I'm not starting a duplicate (usually on a slightly out of date topic). I find that I am frustrated in my attempts to search for states. A lot of subject lines include states in parenthesis or brackets. This would make the search 4 characters, but those special characters appear to be excluded from the search string. Any ideas?

Gene -
In that case, I would either search for the full name of the state, the city, or the county.

Back