Minimum Past Scores for Competing in NRA High Power Nationals?

Bart B.

I was told by someone in another forum that people wanting to compete at the Nationals fired at Camp Perry have to pre-qualify with a minimum score average to enter. He said he'd called NRA and someone there confirmed that because the number of entries was so large, the NRA set up a program where one gains points at lower competition levels (local, state, regional) to progress upwareds. And only those with some level of qualifying points lets them shoot in the Nationals.

It's been a few years since I've been to the Nationals, but those many times there myself, anyone with the money could enter regardless of classification, past scores fired and even those who had never fired a rifle before. In reading the 2009 program for the Nationals as well as the latest high power rules, there's no such qualification program stated for gaining entry into the matches.

Please help me out.

I have never heard anything about minimum scores to compete. The classification system in place allows for all levels of experience. The possibility of a lower classification shooter winning exists and is a strong part of the appeal to go to the Nationals. Additionally the numbers of competitors has been reduced partly due to the economy. I received the entry forms but lack of funds influenced my decision to stay home. I doubt the statement that to many people are trying to enter.

Nope

I went online to register for this past series at Camp Perry. There were no stipulations about the need for a minimum score in order to do so.
Pete

Thanks for your comments.

Even after I showd this guy the 2009 National's Program, the NRA Rules on entering without a classification, he still claims he talked to someone at the NRA who said folks had to be ranked pretty high from past scores to enter the Nationals.

Oh well, such is life.

This topic often gets confusing. A lot of Service Teams do have a min. score requirment. For example for NG Members to compete in the Wilson matches they had to shoot 80% for New Shooters, and 85% for old shooter, the same goes as they progress from the Wilson through All Army to Camp Perry, but thats IF THEY ARE SHOOTING FOR THE MILITARY, there are no min requirements for the National Matches for Civilian or service member competing as individuals.

Not sure but that could be where the mix up came.

Back