Minimum barrel length?

Carmady

Is there a barrel length requirement for handguns? I know NAA makes some with 1 1/8" barrels, so I'm assuming that's legal.

Is it legal to shorten your own handgun barrel?

There is no minimum barrel length for handguns.

And, yes, you may shorten your barrel yourself, if you feel capable of that. Takes more than a hacksaw, though.

Bob Wright

An interesting side note.
The EAA Windicator 2" snubbie is imported with a 4" barrel covered with a two inch shroud due to GCA '68 import restrictions. The barrels are then cut to fit the 2" shroud in the US.

What Rugers, what lengths?

If you see a 4.2" double action Ruger, then it was made with the Canadian market in mind. Those sneaky Canadian politicians thought they could outsmart the gunmakers and ban all the 4" barrels they cataloged, eliminating one source of crime from the tough streets of Saskatchewan.

If you mean the fractional lengths on their single actions, that is mostly historical going back to their Colt ancestors. I don't know why Colt picked those lengths in the first place; except for the 4.75" Colts and 4.625" Rugers which are flush with the ejector rod housing.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about doing it to a .22 with a 2.5" barrel, and according to BBTI there's about a 200-250 fps difference between 1.125" and 2.25" barrels, so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

I wonder if anyone's ever just unscrewed/removed a revolver barrel and shot it. It would be similar to the Pepper Box. The plus side of that is if you don't like it you might be able to put the barrel back on, whereas once it's cut it's gone.

If you make the barrel short enough it becomes a fire starter.
A .22 with a 1/2" barrel won't bury the round in a piece of pine wood.

Yes, shooting a revolver with the barrel removed was done during a gun test by one of the magazines, I don't remember which one now, but I do remember that accuracy was non existent at anything more than point blank range. The rifled barrel , even if only 2 inches helped accuracy.
Pepper box accuracy at best. But it can be done.
Gary

I've seen Colt SAAs in museums with the barrels removed. Supposedly these were carried by river boat gamblers in the old days.

In fact, I believe either Uberti of Pietta makes a Single Action with just a long cylinder and no barrel atall.

Bob Wright

Might be time to remind the US crowd that there is an UPPER length on barrels. 16 inches and it becomes a short rifle...

"Might be time to remind the US crowd that there is an UPPER length on barrels. 16 inches and it becomes a short rifle..."

Wrong. As Mr. Watson said no stock, no rifle. A handgun may have a 10' barrel if one wishes.

Might be time to remind the US crowd that there is an UPPER length on barrels. 16 inches and it becomes a short rifle...

Great sig line:rolleyes:

Not certain what the current legal term is...

Short Barrel Rifle
Stocked Pistol
Sawed off Shotgun / rifle
(legal) curio & relic?
and there is also the catch-all AOW (Any Other Weapon)

The fed moves guns in and out of these groups, seemingly at their whim.

Curio & Relic in particular has changed several times in the last few decades.

Essentially, (as I understand the law)
A Handgun has no buttstock, and a barrel length less than 16".
A Rifle has a buttstock and a barrel length 16" or more.
A shotgun has a buttstock and a barrel length of 18" or more.
There is also an overall minimum length requirement, as well.
(there are also exceptions, and it can get very confusing)
If it falls outside these boundaries, it is regulated by the ATF under the 1934 NFA.

You can have a handgun with NO barrel if you wish, but I wouldn't want to be the test case, should the Fed decide that "no barrel = no rifling= sawed off shotgun".

seen the black powder guns with barrel removed...

BTW... it actually doesn't take much to stabilize some bullets... I have an antique spur trigger than was in exceptional condition... likely because it was chambered in 30 rim fire, & those cartridges haven't been available for a long long time... had my buddy make me a set of chamber inserts made from a chunk of take off 22 barrel, that slip fit into my chambers... I shoot Super Colibri ammo in the gun, & after being chambered, the inserts have just under 1/2" of rifling in the cylinder... the bullet shoots through the standard 30 caliber barrel, without touching, & can hit a man sized target from 12-15 ft ( likely no worse than the 30 rim fire did originally out of it's 4" barrel )

if one were to rifle the throats of most any revolver cylinder, it would likely be adequate at self defense distances, with out any barrel at all...

State regulations apply. Short barrel is for close range. Long barrel is for longer range. A pistol has a short barrel. A cut-down rifle or shotgun is effective at short range, but may be violating state law. Not sure why the question was posted.

There are technical issues though with really short barrel lengths.

The pressure of the burning gunpowder can disrupt the shape of the base of the bullet once the barrel short enough.

Mann's "Bullet's Flight from powder to target" has many pictures and discussions of short barrel lengths in the range of inches and how the bullets are upset by the expanding gasses and thus are inaccurate.

I expect that even with pistols/revolvers there is a minimum barrel length where you can have disruption to the base of the bullet if you go shorter. I don't know where it is though and Mann's book tends to focus on rifles with larger powder charges.

Back