Mini Sharps

Fireman179

I have always wanted a Sharps rifle but cost of the rifle and ammo have always put me off. I was online this morning and come across Chiappa Mini sharps. I see that I can get in chambered in 22lr or 17hmr. The rifle is still expensive but now that the cost of ammo is no longer a problem I'm extremely interested.

Question 1: does anybody own one or have fired/handled one?
Question 2: which cartridge should I choose?
Question 3: is chiappa a quality manufacturer?

I use my 17hmr for pest duty and paper punching and my 22lr firearms for the same mostly if that matters.

I prefer firearms that I can pass to my children one day, is this a good choice?

If you want it, it is,,,

If you want it, it is,,,

But remember you are paying close to a Grand for a novelty rifle.
A very nice functioning novelty rifle,,,
But a novelty none-the-less.

For less than half of that amount,,,
You can buy a top model CZ or Savage,,,
I'll bet a fine glass of tequila they will be more accurate.

But being the enablers that we are,,, :rolleyes:
I'll be the first to say,,,
If you want it,,,
Buy it.

Aarond

If you want a good looking, nice shooting single shot .17hmr, look for a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in that caliber. Very nice gun in all respects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 87
I feel your pain for a sharps....my weakness is the 1885 highwall....can not afford one of those either....settled on a Stevens Favorite model 30...with a Marbles tang mounted peep sight....single shot slomotion shootin.....nuttin fancy...but sure a lot of fun for a 22...

Fireman179 said:
I have always wanted a Sharps rifle but cost of the rifle and ammo have always put me off.

Learn to reload, then ammo prices aren't such a big deal. Shoot black powder level loads with cast bullets and the price gets even cheaper.

when charles daly closed the mimi sharps out i picked up one in 44-40 for 650.00 and its a nice walk around rifle. i have killed two deer with it useing a 200gr cast bullet with 10grs unique, both were standing double lung shots at under 70 yds. the first one was a 200yd trail job as i hit it a little high,but the second was a short 40yds trail as i shot lower in the chest. both shots were complete pass thru,s with no bullets recovered. if they had a 38-55 left i would have bought one,but all they had were a .22hornet and a .22 mag and the 44-40. eastbank.

I've been looking at the Chiappa Mini Sharps for a couple years. But, with current financial conditions, I just can't bring my self to spend that much on one.

I want the .22 Hornet, although the .38-55 would be fun too. I've never handled one, only read magazine/online reviews, and some owners posting on gun forums, but they seem to be good quality. I can't remember any of the owners saying the regretted the purchase.

I already have an 1885 Highwall in .30-06, and would love to get it a little brother...............but until I get a winning lotto ticket, I think it will stay on the wish list.

i only had three complaints with my mini sharps. one, the tang sight needed to be adjusted to get it zeroed,i had to grind metal off the the left side of the sight mounting cam( the cam that fits into the sight base with the hole in it that the mounting screw goes thru) and add several small washers on the right side to move the whole sight to the left in the sight base. that took care of problem number one. two, a little care must be taken when inserting the shell into the chamber as the shell can slip past the extractor. three, the trigger guard is small and i found that i had to be carefull when useing the set trigger(fat fingers). the mini charles daly sharps is the same one that is now being imported from italy for chiappa. i realy like the mimi sharps and have target unertl bases installed and mount a small tubed 8x unertl scope(don,t waste your money on a malcom scope),junk. for distance shooting. i would buy a mimi in 38-55 if i find one for a good price. eastbank.

Last edited:
JWT said:
If you want a good looking, nice shooting single shot .17hmr, look for a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in that caliber. Very nice gun in all respects.
I have a 1885 low wall in .22 LR with a Leupold 2-7 power rimfire scope and with the right ammo, will shoot one-hole 50 yard 5 shot groups if the wind is calm and I do my part.
Also, the 1885 design has a small hammer with a short travel for fast lock time instead of the Sharps and Rolling Block rifle's huge musket hammers.

I saw a couple of Remington Rolling Blocks in .22LR at some gun store and they were cute, unfortunately, they also had stock dimensions sized for small children. Putting one to my shoulder reminded me of shouldering a Daisy Red Rider BB gun.
The antique .22 single shots were actually meant to be used by grownups and so they don't come with kiddie stocks.

Back