Mini-14 ?????

Racew-1

Inactive
I am thinking about buying a mini-14 for home defense. Are they reliable enough and accurate enough for 150 yard shots? Any one shot groups with theirs thy would like to share?

The mini 14 is one of the most reliable autoloaders you can own. They aren't as accurate as an AR, but at benchrest 150 yds. you can expect groups of 4" to 6". Certainly good enough to get the job done, but not sub moa accuracy. They are a lot of fun to shoot and most everyone that owns one is happy with it including me.

I second the comments of bullseye. Great little rifle, reliable, fun to shoot, and accurate enough to do the job.

------------------
OJ
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Gun control is a steady hand and hitting with the first shot.

i'm going to have to agree with all of the above i just recently got one and love while they are not tack drivers they are good enough to get the job done they are reliabel and most of all fun as for the usfullness in home defence i dont know i personaly use an 18.in bbl 12ga

------------------
oneshotonekill

It doesn't make much sense to buy a mediocre $400.00 rifle that requires discontinued factory (Ruger) magazines that cost $100.00-125.00(hi-caps) each to function reliably. 1 Mini-14 and 4 hi-caps = a new Bushmaster or other AR clone, a much better way to go than a Mini, & AR mags are still relatively cheap.

If I'm limiting myself to the 5 rd factory mags Ruger sells, I'd just as soon go to a non-Ruger leveraction. Definitely more reliable than a Mini.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys

I've always looked at the mini 14 as an american made AK47 in 223. It is prob about as dependable (for all practical purposes) and gets about the same accuracy.

If you are really thinking about getting a mini 14, start going to gun shows/shops and look for magazines. Look for PMI, Thermold, Madsen, and Eagle. You should be able to find some in the $30-$40 range, and these are about as good as the factory Ruger mags (usually). The only prob is finding these mags. Once you've found the good ones, the mini is a good choice as an inexpensive defensive carbine. Mine will do 3"-4" at 100yards with a scope.

PS If you can afford it, the AR 15 is really a better gun. If you can't and have to buy the Mini 14, whether you get good mags or not will be the deciding factor!

Why do you want a rifle accurate to 150 yards for home defense? Maybe you have a large property? Most urban/suburban home defense needs can be handled at less than 15 yards. Outside that the home owner will have a tough time in court.

I used to own a Ranch Mini14. It had serious reliability problem with non-Ruger magazines and rear sight kept breaking off. It was not very accurate, esp. after 10 rounds heated up the barrel. On the plus side, its design was very intuitive and it was small and light.

I now have a Mak90, Bushmaster HBAR and M1 "shorty" Garand and would take either of those rifles over the mini14, mostly based on reliability. Mini14 handles better than most of those guns, but I would not expect it to function reliably at the worst time.

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Let me be a little more specific. I want to stay in the 4 to 5 hundred dollar range and want 223 cal. I have always admired the mini and thought that would be the ticket. What I call home defense is taking care of 35 acres of prime hunting land.
One of my neighbors has had two gunfights with some really stupid hunters.
I want to be ready if it calls for it. I hope and pray it never does.

Problems with aftermarket magazines are not Ruger's fault. Rather, they lay with the maker of those aftermarket magazines. On the other hand, Ruger knows that the Ranch rifle rear sights are prone to breakage. I would consider a Williams sight or some other equivalent. This really isn't a major issue since Ranch rifles are meant to be scoped anyway.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Yikes, getting into gunfights with hunters, right or wrong, will probably end up passing title of that 35 acres to the hunters' widows.

I had a mini-14 for about a year, and shot it several times. It is small and light, and the beat-up used one I bought was only $325! I bought some cheapie 30-round mags from cheaperthandirt, and never had a malfuntion in about 200 rounds.

My problems was accuracy. I practiced at only 50 yards, and at that distance I could only get the shots to stay in about a 6" group (no scope). After about 10 shots, accuracy went out the window! I have read that it is because the barrel is not heavy enought to handle much heat.

So I recently sold it and got a Bushmaster Shorty AR-15 for $809. On my first shots with it, I popped all 40 shots into a 3" circle at 50 yards (no scope). Most of the shots were in a ragged hole about 1 1/2".

So I know the low price is important. But this kind of accuracy difference is more important than the $ to me.

If .223 caliber is the big issue, here's one option: look at www.savagearms.com at their bolt-action rifles in .223 for about $350 or less retail. I suppose they would be cheaper at a gun show or good dealer.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

Buy PMI mags (precision) have had good luck with them, just check follower at the top (mag empty) with your fingers to make sure it will go down and back up smoothly with no catching near top. See post about "buying ruger" in handgun forum to see some infighting about M14 VS M16 "TYPE" RIFLES Good luck.
Were I in your situ I would try to get good spotter rifle in 308 with 3-10x tac leupold with bdc and mil dot maybe a springfield M21 for your tresspass problems.

Capt. Park's experience with losing accuracy after 5 shots is not unusual for the Mini14. Face it, like any other gun with a sporter weight barrel, it becomes like a wet noodle when heated up. My Mini is good for about 5 shots, then I have to let it cool down if I want any accuracy. And like Capt. Park observed, with a HBAR, you can shoot a heckuva lot more before the gun is affected.

Ruger did try making some mid-weight barrel Mini14s which were built on the Mini30 barrel (bored out for .223). While they showed slight improvement, it was not enough to satisfy Bill Ruger and Ruger never released the few that were produced.

The Ruger Mini14 is a fun rifle for plinking. It can be used for home defense (none of us forsee a prolonged firefight, do we?). If you live on a ranch with acres and acres of land, I'd consider a scoped bolt action instead. Remember, if you're going to scope a Mini, get the Ranch model and not the regular Mini14. The regular Mini14 will pound the scope to pieces.

One word of advice on any Mini, Ruger attaches the buttplate before they spray on the urethane. This means that the endgrain on the stock is not protected against moisture. I suggest that the buttplate be removed and a heavy wax applied to protect the wood since most moisture absorbtion is through the end grain. After a couple coats of wax, reattach the buttplate.

By the way, after factory magazines, I also like Precision magazines and won't buy anything else.

------------------

Racew-1,

YIKES!! Scary to think that hunters would be so stupid. But, ya know what? My Dad had the same problem. As far as a firearm, why not look at a M1 Garand. You can get them from the government for $400. If you are really concerned about getting into a fire fight, go for a bigger stick. A M1 can be a very intimidating weapon. If you are really dead set on a .223 round, go with a AR-15. Oh yeah, I may get flamed for this but, good Ruskie model SKS's are still around and will leave you enough change from you $400 for a couple thousand rounds of ammo and a couple high cap mags.
Just my two cents worth.

>Let me be a little more specific. I want to >stay in the 4 to 5 hundred dollar range and
>want 223 cal. I have always admired the mini >and thought that would be the ticket. What
>I call home defense is taking care of 35 >acres of prime hunting land. One of my >neighbors has had two gunfights with some >really stupid hunters. I want to be ready if >it calls for it. I hope and pray it never >does.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

I have owned a Mini-14. While it was quite reliable, it was inaccurate and miserable to shoot as the pull is too short for all but the smallest shooter (and mine had a 1" butt extension).

Traded it and ended up with a couple of AR's (BM), including a carbine.

Gunfights with hunters sounds foolish all around. If you want to play that game though, intimidation is key and the Mini-14 ain't capable of much intimidation compared to an AR with a quality USGI 30 round mag.

My suggestion is to pony up the extra bones and get a weapon that you will never regret purchasing. I think you *will* come to regret purchasing a Mini-14 whether or not you know it now.

IMHO and YMMV

If you want intimidation buy M14/FAL/HK91 with bayonet and forget about the ar stuff, with any of these rifles they will not only see it they will hear it if you have to use it.

As to intimidate, Look at a Mini cut down to minimum, 16" with hider and bayonet mount/sight and STEEL folding stock all matte black with 30rd mag. Folded it is basically a 30 round pistol and looks none to friendly.

Oh BTW, Ruger does not make its own barrels for the Mini14. They don't have enough rifling machines or hammer forges to meet their production needs.

------------------

I like my Mini just fine so far. Lots of fun to shoot. Serves as a contingency for Y2K. It meets my personal requirements. Will hit man-sized targets up to 200 yards. About as "friendly" looking it will get for rifles. Parts and ammo easily found and replaced by local Walmarts or Kmarts. Hi-cap. About as reliable as I need it to be. Wouldn't make me cry if I lost it or if it broke. And because it is a disposable defense rifle for me, I won't be scoping it.

For a "real" defense gun, I've always dreamed of the Steyr AUG. That's probably what I'll upgrade to when I have saved enough clams. Or maybe a CAR-15. Hmm. We'll see.

Back