Mini-14 Standard or Ranch? Good Price?

DougB

A store in the area has Mini-14s on sale for another couple of days. I bought some stainless steel magazines (20s and 30s) before they were banned here in California, so I'm more-or-less locked in to getting a mini. They have both the Standard Mini-14 and the Ranch Rifle (with built-in scope mounts). I haven't had much chance to examine them. I will probably use iron sights most of the time, but I might want to mount a red-dot sight or a scope at some time. Is the folding sight on the Ranch Rifle fully adjustable? Is it as good as the sight on the standard? Are there any other differences? Would the mounts and rings that come with the Ranch Rifle accomodate a red-dot sight? I'd appreciate any pros and cons to consider in choosing between the standard and the Ranch Rifle.

Also, the prices are (I think) as follows:
Standard Blue Mini-14: $400
Standard Stainless Mini-14: $440
Blue Ranch Rifle: $430
Stainless Ranch Rifle: $480

How are these prices? I haven't had much chance to shop around, but this sale will only last a couple of days, so I'll need to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Doug

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited February 27, 2000).]

Having been a previous owner of Mini-14 Ranch, I would say the prices are pretty good. I am seeing used standard , blued rifles sell for $325. If anything I would buy the standard as the sites are much better than the folding site on the Ranch model. If you do decide to add a scope they do have bases specifically for the standard model.

I bought a standard Mini 14 Stainless Synthetic a couple weeks ago for $460 . I have had several ranch models and purchased a standard this time because I knew I was not going to scope it . The Ranch rear sight is very fragile , you can replace them with a Williams unit that is pretty nice . The standard rear sight is almost indestructable , I replaced my stock rear blade on the standard with an Ashley ghost ring insert and I really like it , with the ghost ring you get rid of the blind spot you have with the stock sight . The stock rings that come with a ranch are 1" , I think most of your better red dot's are a 30mm tube . Also the ranch's ejector is different so it ejects more to the side to keep the brass from hitting your scope . Good luck , Mike...

I had a Mini-14 stainless ranch model. I liked the built-in scope ring provision. It came in handy for attaching an anchor line around the scope mount, under my K-mart Tasco scope, when using the Mini as a boat anchor.

I gave, not sold (I would have been embarassed to ask $$ for such a piece of plumbing) to a friend, so his then-12-yr-old son could play with it. They're still friends, but they're having a lot more fun playing with my Bush Shorty carbine. (I loaned them the Bush)

Thanks for the input (please continue). The comment about most red-dots being 30mm is something I hadn't thought of. That reduces the appeal of the Ranch setup. Is the Standard Mini-14 drilled and tapped for mounting an optical sight? I'm leaning toward the standard because I have no immediate intention of mounting optics, but I'd feel better if I knew it weren't too difficult if I change my mind in the future. The vertical ejection might also be a problem. Anyone mounted a red-dot or scope on a standard Mini-14?

Regarding the boat anchor comment, I know the Mini has a poor reputation for accuracy. I already have several AR-15s, as well as some AKs and an FAL. But I want a semi-auto that won't have to be registered as an "assault weapon" here in California. I now kind of wish I'd bought Mini-30 magazines rather than Mini-14, but its too late to legally change that. And I must admit, I find the stainless and black stocked Mini-14s appealing.

Doug , the standard Mini scope mounts snap into the bolt lock cover plate . I would not worry about the accuracy until you shoot the gun , my new one is plenty accurate for its intended purpose . I have had AR's that were not as accurate as this new Mini . They do heat up fast but I have found all of mine to be 100% reliable , that is something I can not say about my AR's . I think of the Mini as a 150 yard gun , if you use it with that in mind it is a great weapon . Good luck , Mike...

I should have said replaces the bolt lock cover plate .

[This message has been edited by Mike Baugh (edited February 27, 2000).]

Doug, I have a tasco red dot on my mini, all I had to do was call Ruger and they sent me a set of 30mm rings for free and I mailed them the 1" rings. I bought my Stainless Ranch here in Montana new around Christmas for $425 at "Bob Wards". I am very pleased with it. I get inch and a half groups with at 100 yards consistently no matter what ammo I feed it. Its not as accurate as my Bushmaster but the coyotes don't seem to know the difference and I will bet in spring the goffers won't complain either.

I would go with the Ranch. At least that is what I did. It has a scope mount and a special buffering system to prevent beating your scope to death. I don't believe that the regular mini-14 has this. You can also get a weaver-style rail made for the ranch rifle from Weigand combat handguns for $60. http://www.jackweigand.com/

I fits right in the scope rig notches. This way you can add any scope or even a Reflex II like I did. It works really nice.

For urban CQC/self defense I actually think that the Ranch rifle is superior to the AR-15. While long range accuracy is less. At less than 100 yards it doesn't matter as much. What is more important is reliability. I have shot over 2000 rounds out of mine without a jam (I did have a bad magazine with a weak spring that wouldn't feed - I won't blame the rifle for that). You can even get away with not cleaning it for a couple of shooting sessions if you are lazy. I always see AR-15's jamming. I still have nightmares of my M16a1 jamming when I was in the Army. The way I see it sub-moa doesn't mean anything if your rifle jams at rock throwing distance from your enemy.

I think that the Ranch Rifle is the perfect urban rifle. You don't have to register, it fires the same ammunition as the AR-15, it doesn't jam, it looks cool and as an additional bonus it whips brass vigorously out 20 feet to your right rear allowing you to mangle a flanking opponent while maintaining your forward fire. :) Actually this can be a problem if you reload (I don't) as some people have complained about denting the brass. Its not a problem at the range. It doesnt hit the person next to you, only those standing to the rear watching. I find if I just warn them ahead of time its not a problem. Actually it shoots fairly accurately until the thin barrel heats up after 40 shots or so. The way I see it, any encounter would probably be over after 40 shots anyway.

Besides adding a Reflex II. Another improvement that I am considering is getting the trigger worked on. Its o.k. for CQC but I would like the pull a little lighter and smoother. I understand that this company http://www.ct-precision.com/ does a decent job reducing trigger pull to 3-3 1/4 pounds. You mail the trigger group to them and include $45.

You can also get have a match barrel put on but I don't see the point in that. It costs $300 and up. If your looking for that kind of accurancy I think that you might as well get a bolt action rifle.

Good luck, I hope this is helpful.

I went with a Leupold Gilmore 1" red dot scope on my Ranch rifle and man is it sweet. It fits right in the rings and I have even used it for shooting varmits at night.

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

If you plan to scope it in the future, go with the Ranch. It's engineered for the scope and the regular rifle will pound your optics to pieces.

The problem with the Mini 14 is the barrel which is too light. After a few shots, it heats up, behaves like a wet noodle, and groups open up accordingly. Ruger did make some heavier barrel Mini14s which were based on the thickness of the Mini30 barrels, but these were never released to the public and they remain in the inventory at the Newport factory. Another thing about the Mini14 barrels, Ruger doesn't make them and subcontracts out to a well known barrel maker for that. Ruger has only five cold barrel forging machines and that's not enough to meet their demands.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

WiltedFA2

Those are some very inteligent and helpfull comments, I am sure Doug appreciates your help.

KEEP YOUR BILE TO YOUSELF MORON!!!

Sod,

Please click on the Forum Policies at the top of this page.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>3) No trolling, flaming or other personal attacks, be they acrimonious or veiled in humor.[/quote]
Thank you.

Back