Mini 14 rear sight removal. Help!

Prof Young

Went to mount a scope on my new mini14. As the clearance between the scope and the rear sight was going to be small, I decided to take the rear sight off. Should be easy right. Remove the screw/bolt and ta da. Not a chance. Screw/bolt is in there so tight that the head stripped out before it turned. Got on line and did some research. Apparently the removal of a mini-14 rear sight is a problem for everyone. One guy said he'd called Ruger who told him the screw shouldn't be that tight and no loctite (sp?) was used.

I mounted the scope and the clearance is enough to adjust the scope distance by turning the ring. But now I have this screw with a stripped head holding my rear sight on. Geez.

Help!

Life is good.
Prof Young

In the future

Manufacturer's are known to use Anaerobic thread locking liquids. A manufacturer can honestly claim no Loctite. Loctite is a brand name, there are other brands.
Use a close fitting screwdriver bit or hex wrench heat the wrench with a small torch to transfer heat to the fastener. Do so with your schnozola above when you smell the sweet odor of Loctite grab an unheated bit and turn the fastener out.

Do not scope the Mini-14. The Mini-14 are known to break scopes including Leupold.

1) Impact of ejected shell on scope or scope base.
2) Recoil of bolt against the receiver is violent.
3) Receiver acts like a tuning fork and the energy is dissipated into the scope.

It's why Ruger engineered the Ranch Rifle version of the Mini-14.

1) Ruger changed the ejector to eject to the side. No pounding on the scope or the base.
2) Buffer ring installed to dampen the recoil of the op-rod/slide.
3) Factory Rings. No more after-market that add to the scope's vulnerability.

If must scope a Mini-14, consider a scout type mount.

Thanks Gary. Good to know, scout style scope sounds like the ticket. Given the minis reputation for accuracy? I'd go with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. Washington permits them for muzzleloader hunting. I really like the Romeo 5, the dot is tiny it's good to about 100 yards. Reasonably priced for a decent red dot.

You can consider cutting down overgassing with gas bushing, so that the bolt stops short of slamming the receiver rear end. Ejected brass hitting scope turret is annoying. Adjusting the extractor to change ejection pattern is an option. Installing a deflector is another option, but it looks tacky.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info and . . .

Thanks for all the info. I should have noted that my mini is a Ranch Rifle.
Still don't have the bolt out.
Life is good.
Prof Young

Back