Mini-14 front sight removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoadIt

I'm looking to replace the front sight on a Ruger Mini-14. I drifted out the old roll pin. Now what? I tapped on the front sight (gently) with a plastic dead blow hammer and could not get it to come off. I then sprayed it with WD-40 and it has been in my safe since then. (2 days) I don't want to ruin the sight because I am putting it on another rifle. Any suggestions?

I justed used a piece of wood against the edge

of the sight base and worked my way around it

with a hammer.on mine the only thing holding it was the pin.

clown

I had a similar problem when I removed the front sight from my stainless Mini-30. I heated up the front sight with one of those grill-starter devices that you click and a little flame comes out the long end. I suppose a cigarette lighter would accomplish the same thing. Anyway, I let it get hot for about 30-45 seconds, then gently tapped off the front sight with a ball peen hammer and a piece of wood. It popped off easily, and I noticed some sort of Locktite-type adhesive between the sight and the barrel.

The flame left a blackened mark on the bottom of the sight. Fortunately, the flame didn't mark the barrel. In hindsight, I should have wrapped some aluminum foil around that area to keep off the soot.

I have no idea how a flame might affect bluing if you have a blued barrel. Maybe the aluminum foil idea would work for a blued barrel too.

Well, I had to use heat to remove the sight. I used a small propane torch to heat the front sight until the WD-40 started to sizzle. I made sure to use the cooler orange part of the flame. Not the blue part. Anyway, I used a ball peen and a block of wood after that. Neither the sight nor the barrel seem to have any discoloration. Thanks again.

A real solution

To anyone who is having difficulty removing the factory front sight on your Mini 30 or Mini 14, I have a great solution. There is a sight removal tool available on Amazon for a measly 17 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I7J4CXW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I struggled with my front sight for several days, tried penetrating oil, tried heat, beat the hell out of it with three different pieces of wood… (being very careful not to overheat or bend / damage the barrel)… all to no avail. Then I ordered this little tool. It took me about 30 seconds to pop my front sight off safely with no damage to the rifle or the sight. It worked on my stainless Mini30 and my girl friend's mini 14. I highly recommend it! Don't risk damage to a gun you are proud of, take that sight off using the right tool and save yourself all the headache! Hope you find this advice useful.

Shotski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back