Mini-12-guage rounds?

ctdonath

Anyone have opinions/sources for mini-12-guage rounds? Looking for something that will work nicely in a Mossberg 590 Compact AOW (pistol grip, 14" barrel) without the full 12-guage kick.

Not sure what you mean by "mini" rounds.

Winchester makes a Low Noise/Low Recoil shotshell, 2.5 DR EQ, 26 grams (not grains) of #9 shot. I bought a metric s***load of it last time I was at Long's Drugs, but haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Price was $5.99/25.

Winchester says it's intended for use in break- and pump-actions only, as the shells don't produce enough energy to cycle an auto.

HTH.

------------------
"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to start shooting the bastards."
--Claire Wolfe

The mini rounds are about 1.5", if they are the one's I am thinking of. They are made by Aguila. I think that Cole Distributing has some.

They, like the low recoil rounds mentioned above, are not recomended for semi-autos.

As is, 1.5" long? Hmmm... I wonder how many of those things I could fit into my seven-shot M500.
smile.gif

Tell me they make them in #1 buck!

-boing

The Aguila mini rounds work OK in a break action, but are too small to cycle through a pump action and too weak to cycle an auto ( they are also too small to feed through an auto). At 6 to 7 dollars a box/25 they are also expensive. The recoil level is approx 75% of light target loads, but the sound level is about that of a .38 Special. I bought a box of #9 to try in my SXS Coach gun. I would use them if noise was a concern, such as in an enclosed room, hallway etc. For reduced recoil for practice or such, you are better off with light 2 3/4" loads and a shoulder pad of sorts. From the price standpoint alone, if you shoot 25 rounds a week, you could buy a 20ga for practice with the difference in price between the mini rounds and standard size and pay for it within 24 months, sooner if you get a good deal on shells or reload. IMHO they are a niche product that fill a need for a quiet but effective round. Aguila also sells them in 00buck, with 6 instead of the usual 9 pellets. If I found a local source of for the 00, such as browsing a show or dealer, I would pick up a box. I would not go too far out of my way to do it though. The SXS is also, IMHO a niche gun as far as home or camp protection. Nice to have when you need it, but my 870 does everything better and less painfully.

------------------
(!)

I just bought several boxes of the 11/2 inch Aguilla 12ga shells. They definitely give off less recoil and noise than regular shotshells and would probably be fairly comfortable to use in your pistol grip gun. I tried them in my Mossberg 500 and they wouldnt cycle properly. If I held the gun almost upside down and racked it gently I could get the shells to cycle somewhat, but if your intended use for them requires a fast follow up shot, forget it.

Back