Mineral spirits to clean the finish?

r010159

I currently have a 1849 Colt percussion revolver in hand that has allot of the original finish. I would like to remove the grease that was used to preserve it. Can I use mineral spirits on the finish of the pistol to clean the grease off without damaging the finish itself? If I cannot, what can I use?

Bob

Last edited:
Absotively

Can I use mineral spirits on the finish of the pistol to clean the grease off without damaging the finish itself?
Not a problem and this solvent is my #1 go-to on most things that I clean associated with this "Great-Adventure". In fact, it's fairly benign and you might find that it is not strong enough. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Maybe CLP? The mineral spirits did remove the grease. Would mineral spirits work for the varnished grips? Eventually I am going to use Ren Wax on it.

Bob

Last edited:
Mineral spirits or any regular firearm solvent. The former has the advantage of being less expensive and usually won't try to kill you.
"...for the varnished grips?..." To do what? If you want to remove varnish, use varnish remover. Mineral spirits will strip wood that's just oiled. Doesn't strip cured varnish though.
Isn't likely to be varnish on a handgun stock though. Unless somebody actually used varnish at some time. Anyway, what works on furniture will also work just fine on firearm stock wood. Wood being wood and all.

Back