milt sparks, vesa max or watch six?

tom75

Inactive
Milt Sparks, Versa Max or Watch Six ?

Hi everyone. My name is Tom and this is my first post.I was considering a milt sparks IWB holster. I cant decide between the vesa max or the watch six dual talon. has anyone purchased either one of these holsters, if so which is better for comfort and concealment? Are these holsters
made to be carried right on the hip or a little to the rear of the hip? I have a colt lightweight officers model and I am 6'1" 250 pounds and were jeans and a loose fitting t-shirt mostly . Thanks, Tom

usa-flag.gif

Welcome to the forum first off.

I have a Watch 6 for a Government model (1911) and I found that it was the easiest IWB holster I had tried to get used to wearing. It is very comfortable because it is so thin. I wear mine just behind the hip bone. Now it does not have a mouth re-enforcement so will "go flat" if you are wearing it for any length of time w/o the pistol holstered.

My Watch 6 has the snap belt loops but I have heard a lot of good things about the Watch 6 - Talon with the clips, they make it a lot easier to remove the holster and put it back on.

Thanks For the info Jim. what do you usally wear over the rig? would a t-shirt be enough? Does it stick out when you sit or bend over? Thanks again. Tom

usa-flag.gif

I wear a lot of dark textured t's and golf shirts, I try to go up a size in shirt jut for more room. I don't bend over I stoop down, I'm too round to bend much. LOL I don't think that I have had any problem with the pistol printing, at least no one has gotten excited about seeing a "GUN!"

I have a Versa Max II for my Kimber Pro Carry. I'm really pleased with the comfort and concealment of this holster. My Blade Tech IWB has been sitting in my holster drawer ever since I got the VMII. It sits just behind my right hip, and I just wear bowling-type shirts and polo shirts over it. The VMII has a steel-reinforced mouth so it doesn't go flat when you unholster. I also like the fact that it sits down low to the waistband of my trousers. I got mine from Alan Yoast, and he got it right to me...a great guy to do business with.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions I didn't address.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

Thanks jarhead_22. Do versa max or watch six come with thumb
breaks or does the weapon fit snug enough not to need one?
jarhead you said versa max sits low in your pants is the gun still easy to get too? I noticed that my Gould And goodrich vertical IWB holster sits low and makes it hard to grab the short handle of the officers model sometimes. Thanks

also can you guys see my waving flag image at the bottom of my posts?
usa-flag.gif

What flag??????

Just kidding, the flag shows up very well.

Neigher the W-6 nor the Versa Max have thumbreak straps, My W-6 did not/does not need a safety strap to retain the pistol. I think that either holster would conceal your Officers ACP well.

I recently got a Watch Six Dual Talon. I love it. I have a box full of expensive holsters and it is right up with my favorites of all time. It is definitely the best holster I have tried for my 1911. I carry a full size 5" Kimber lightweight CDP model in it and I find that I can conceal it under no more than a T-shirt. I have a good body shape for this mode of carry though. Everyone is different. I wear it just behind my strong hip. It sits low and yes the grip is "right there" when I go for it; very fast and positive draw. I put slim grips on my 1911 and the whole rig is very flat to my body and I can move easily and even bend a over a bit without it printing (wearing behind my hip there is no such thing as full bending over without some printing, no matter how good the rig is, but I can move freely with this one and almost bend over fully with no obscene printing).
I usually wear two T-shirts (if I am going casual) or some other type of shirt over my undershirt, but I could go with just the undershirt if I wished. The reasons I don't wear just a single white T-shirt is that I like to dress a little nicer than to wear just a T-shirt, and the extra shirt makes it nearly impossible to see printing and tell I am CCW due to the extra thick cloth reducing printing, and and darker colors or designs make it really impossible to see printing.

I have not tried a VM2 so I can't compare them, but I can say that after about 10 years of regularly carrying CCW, my Watch Six Dual Talon is now my favorite rig.

Need IWB holster for my 1911 with light mount....who will make it?

I have a Wilson TCP with a light mount attached. The light mount is just a little square piece of steel in front of the trigger guard. All I need is an IWB holster for it. Anything will do, since it will be for function (mainly hunting) and it will be inside my pants I don't care if it is ugly as sin or whatever, I just need it to hold my gun at my side.
I am having trouble finding a holster-maker that will even consider making a holster for this gun though.
What holster makers out there will make a holster for this gun? If no one makes a holster for a 1911 with a light mount, then what holster-makers are willing to make these type of custom holsters, even if I have to send my gun to them?

Thanks,
thaddeus

Thanks all. Thaddeus, is it easy to reholster in the watch six. I read that its mouth isn't held open when the weapon is withdrawn?

Also someone told me that they carry there colt with 1 in the chamber, the hammer back and safety up preferably with a thumbbreak strap between the hammer and pin. Is this called "cocked and locked" or "locked and cocked" ? and is
this the preffered way to carry a colt? what about this form of carry with no thumbbreak? Thanks All. Tom

Tom, I carry a Browning Hi-Power cocked & locked in a Versa Max 2.

You don't need the thumbstrap as the VM-2 (and I'm sure the Watch 6) have excellent retention without it. I can hang upside down in mine without the gun coming out.

As far as Condition One carry goes (one in the chamber, safety on), I am of the opinion that it is completely safe and a thumbreak is unneccessary. If you have any concerns about this type of carry, you should probably not attempt it until you feel comfortable with it though.

One way to do this is to carry the gun around the house with an empty chamber, no magazine, and the hammer cocked and safety engaged. Its a good way to build confidence in the reliability of Condition One carry.

Here is another vote for the VersaMax II, since I have gotten mine, I rarely use any other holster. I carry a Para P-14 routinely. A light tank-top type Tshirt under any number of shirts. Usually polos, or larger button front casual shirts. Have never had a problem with concealment or the gun wanting to come out. Other good shirts to wear are hawaiin shirts and mexican wedding shirts.
A nice feature of the VMII is the belt loops can be changed depending on the width of your belt and it aslo has some clips so that it can be worn as a tuckable type holster. As soon as I move to Spokane I am driving down to see Milt Sparks and have one made for my CZ52. Any gun that I carry will now go into a VMII.

It looks like you've already had most of your questions answered, but I will tell you that I have no problem getting a grip on my 1911 when it's in the VMII. The trigger is fully covered by the leather, but the entire grip is easily accessible. As said above, the retention qualities of the holster itself make a thumbreak unneccessary. This thing is the sweetest holster I've seen or used, and it is molded tight to the weapon like that dress on the girl washing her car in "Cool Hand Luke."

"C'mon safety pin, pop!"

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

VM2

I own 2 versa maxIIs. One for a Springfield 1911 and one for a Makarov. I'm very happy with both. As for the question of cocked and locked, as long as your holster has the tab on the backside of the holster which covers the safety lever, you should never have a problem with it. I've worn mine while horseback riding, while working on the farm, and while riding for extended periods of time in a vehicle. I have never had the safety to snick off while using a holster with the tab. I have however, had the safety snicked off while wearing an IWb holster without the tab.

Thanks for the info everyone.I think im leaning towards the watch six dual talon just because I almost never tuck my shirt so i dont need that tuck in feature in and its 3/16ths of an inch thinner than there other holsters im told by the people at milt sparks. What about sitting with these holsters does it want to stick out if carried behind the hip.
Thanks Again. Tom. Keep the opinions coming.

usa-flag.gif

Back