Milsurp stock refinishing

LAlineman

I'm basically just Re-conditioning my old Lee Enfield . All the furniture is prepped and I'm trying to deside whether to use Boiled Linseed Oil or Beachwood Casey " Tru Oil". I've used the Tru oil before , then buffed out the shine and it worked really well. Never used Boiled Linseed Oil but I see a lot of guys have . Any recommendations ? Thanks

I got this one here in Costa Mesa Gun Show. They had several in different condition. Also, Gunbroker.com. If you,re really interesed, send me a contact # or E-mail and I,ll keep an eye out for you. Glad to help !

One more place I forgot about, depending where you live is J&G Sales.com- 928-445-9650, Prescott,Az. Hope this helps !

Chasehav2014 - Gunbroker.com right now has some Enfields. Just click on Rifles under Firearms . Then go to search and enter Lee Enfield . No cost to look ! Buy it and have it sent to your nearby FFL. It's that easy ! Great site, Beware, you get hooked !!! LALineman

If you're going for a "correct" finish, it's not Tru-Oil. It's BLO. Goes on with a clean, lint free, rag, in several thin coats. Be sure to dispose of the rags safely. BLO has been known to spontaneously combust.

I guess I am the odd man out. I use Tung Oil varnish with superior results. I don't like TruOil and I dont like BLO. They just don't feel right to me nor offer good enough protection from the elements. JMHO.

Either will give very little color change. Most color change is with dyes, stains & so on not oil finishes.
I oiled a light blonde (beech) wood stock with many coats of good ol' BLO & after a few years it has changed a little, a kind of honey color that I like.

Wogpotter,
Ok , that's exactly the answer I guess I was looking for . I want the Honey color look ! Thanks for the info !!

Some milsurps used Tung oil.

I like BLO. It's not the most weather resistant thing but I don't like outside yet :)

BLO can give a very shiny finish or a more matte finish. Depends on the wood and how smooth it is.

I've refinished M1 carbine stocks from 'filthy firewood' to 'pretty stocks' in two hours using just denatured alcohol, odorless mineral spirits, and BLO. Depending on what you want, you can go military-looking (which is, honesty, about as rough as 100gr sandpaper produces) or you can go pretty and shiny, all with BLO, tung oil, pure tung oil etc. Tung is little more matte of a finish to my eye

BLO was NOT applied to the Enfield rifle.

Only "RAW" linseed oil was applied.

The majority of American made BLO today is nothing more than raw linseed oil, resins and driers, and it is NOT actually boiled. You can NOT apply it bare handed because of the toxic chemicals added.

Below, at the start of WWII the yearly tear-down inspection, maintenance and the oiling of the stock by hot dipping in a tank of raw linseed oil were canceled. Everything below the wood line was painted and "RAW" linseed was issued to the troop to be applied by them as noted below.

NOTE: You do not take a shiny rifle into combat!

Page-10.jpg

Page-11.jpg

95% of all Enfield manuals you find on the internet today were donated by me for free downloading.
(you will not find the word BLO in any book or manual on the Enfield rifle)

instructions.jpg

maint.jpg

The stock on the left had real boiled linseed oil applied and this was non-standard, this Enfield was used in competition and the stock was made more water resistant. The stock on the left is raw linseed oil that was applied to standard issued Enfield rifles. "RAW" linseed oil is used because it penetrates deeply into the wood and keeps the wood hydrated but still allows the wood to breathe. BLO is a surface application to make wood look good, "RAW" linseed oil makes the wood last longer in actual use.

IMGP2270.jpg

Edward,
Outstanding info ! Amazing the people you meet on this Forum . Thank you Sir. I never knew any of that ! I guess that's sets the record straight. But is the "raw" LInseed Oil Avail ? And Where ? I do like the color, but is the finish " Sticky " ? Thanks again !

I go to the local craft store and buy raw linseed oil used by artist for oil painting. The only difference is the raw linseed oil is filtered to remove the impurities. (Filtered linseed oil helps prevent mold growth on the impurities and contaminate particles)

Below raw unfiltered linseed oil next to filtered artist grade raw linseed oil.

protein_oil.jpg

Below is pure raw linseed oil that can be applied bare handed.

5582grumbacherLinseedOil.jpg

Below, Stand oil is actual real boiled linseed oil that can be applied by hand.

5662grumbacherstandoil-1.jpg

By reading the product MSDS sheets you can tell the true contents of the products you plan to use.

NOTE: I have American military manuals dated from the mid 1970s and raw linseed was still being applied by our military to wooden stocks.

IMGP2800-1.jpg

Raw Linseed oil well have some very long drying times. Most every LE collector I know uses BLO. Apply a heavy coat, allow it to set for 30 minutes then wipe off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times allowing the blo to dry between applications(24-48hrs) Tom's gunstock wax is a good product to use every 6 months or so.

BLO applied to blond (Beech) furniture well have little effect on color change. BLO on walnut well darken it, you can wet the wood with water to see what color the blo well give you.

These are Beech with BLO.

twins.jpg

madcratebuilder

Raw Linseed oil well have some very long drying times. Most every LE collector I know uses BLO. Apply a heavy coat, allow it to set for 30 minutes then wipe off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times allowing the blo to dry between applications(24-48hrs) Tom's gunstock wax is a good product to use every 6 months or so.

Raw linseed oil is what was applied by the British and Commonwealth Nations on their Enfield rifles and this was confirmed by Peter Laidler the senior armourer in the UK.

Some people clean their stocks with Easy Off oven cleaner or put them in the dishwasher. This doesn't change the fact of what was actually put on the Enfield rifle and "WHY" it was put on the wood.

Todays American made BLO is toxic and it is "NOT" what the British put on the Enfield wooden stock. Opinions or a WAG do not matter when the official documented material put on the Enfield rifle was raw linseed oil.

RLO.jpg

In our forums we have some people who tell you to grease or oil your cartridge cases to prevent the case from stretching and prevent case head separations and these people do "NOT" know what they are talking about.

This also doesn't change what the British said about oil or grease on cartridge cases.

TBOSA-1.jpg

TBOSA-2.jpg

There is a difference between "FACTS", fiction, myths, opinions and guesswork.

Now read about BLO that IS toxic, the company below makes knapsacks and haversacks for Civil War reenactors only to find out they could NOT use Ace Hardware BLO because it "IS" a toxic product EVEN after it dries.
(And you hold your rifles in your hands and put your cheek against the stock)

"The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) rate the health hazards of boiled linseed oil as low. But and this is a very important BUT-- that is when the oil is used in the context of the MSDS guidelines as an exterior coating for wood or metal. No one has addressed the use of boiled linseed oil for coating cloth items containing food, cloth items for transporting clothing and food and cloth items to sleep on.

When we first began to reproduce the double bag knapsack we contacted the Sunnyside Company that produces boiled linseed oil. We described how we proposed to use their product and asked about the health warnings on their container. Their response was that to ask that we find an alternative coating or if we did use boiled linseed oil we not use their brand due to the liability issue."

American made Boiled Linseed Oil contains lead, arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel. These elements are toxic and carcinogens.

http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id18.html

I deal in facts and I research what I write so take this for what its worth, I don't care if you put peanut butter on your Enfield stocks but "RAW" linseed oil was what was used and not BLO. ;)

Back