Millenial upper from Fulton

BillX

Let me start that I have never owned an AR type rifle. I have been thinking about getting a Bushmaster stripped lower for $125 and sending it to Fulton to have them put together a preban configuration (can they do that?) 16" Millenial rifle for $800 plus. My Questions:
Is it worth it?
Are the 16" uppers from Fulton as good as their propaganda?

I have a M14S Polytech that has been upgraded by Smith Enterprises. Do I need an AR style rifle?
I am thinking of using it for defense and 3 gun matches. My wife might start shooting it also.

I don't mind paying for quality but I only want to pay once.

------------------
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times to spit on his hands,hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." H.L. Mencken

BillX -

First - a NEW AR15 lower receiver can NOT be used to legally assemble an AR15 with pre-ban features (flash suppressor, etc.) The 1994 federal 'crime bill' prohibits such machinations and could land you in a world of hurt (if caught).

Fulton Armory does excellent work, but they are pricey. The distinguishing feature of their millenial upper is that it uses an original GI barrel with a 1/12 twist. 1/9 twist is more common and proven to adequately stabilize a pretty good range of bullet weights.

Is it worth it? If you go with FA, I doubt that you'll be disappointed. If you go with a straight BM shorty, I don't think you'll be disappointed, either.

My wife has a BM shorty and LOVES it! I bought it for her because once she fired MY AR15... well... let's just say there is something VERY appealing about an accurate and low recoil rifle. :)

Cliff

the millenial uppers are the wrong barrel for 55 grain 5.56

I would buy a factory gun with a warrenty

The stripped lower would require some shop assembly and you will pay for that time.

It is better to by a complete AR to start with,
then buy a stripped lower and build one your self.
but only after you "grok" the AR...

dZ

First, no, the Millenial uppers are the RIGHT upper for 55 grain. They are 1/12 twist, which is the proper twist for 55 grain.
Second, as you've been told, it's illegal to put a preban upper on your postban lower.
Third, Fulton wouldn't put the upper on for you anyway, to the best of my knowledge, they would just sell you the upper and let you pop the pins in.
Fourth, no, the Fulton upper isn't worth it IMHO. You can get the same deal by buying any SP1 upper...which usually runs in the $350-400 range. If you wanna put it on a postban, just have a smith chop off the bayonet lug and pin/solder a muzzle brake on in place of the flash hider.
Or better yet, keep your eyes open on the internet ad boards at www.subguns.com (non-NFA ad board) and www.sturmgewehr.com (semiauto ad board) and you can find preban Colt SP1 AR15s for around a grand.

1 in 12 was designed for 55 g, as mentioned above. The newer twist rate, 1 in 9 or 1 in 7, was designed for the current NATO loading, which is 62 g, and for match shooting.

Personally, I've never noticed any difference, and I find reliable 62 g hard to locate and expensive.

So part of the answer is, yes the SP-1 upper will be FINE for your occasional/plinking/family use.

If you know your way around the weapon, or if you have an existing relationship with a gunsmith, you can, as mentioned, get the same parts and work for cheaper.

But if you buy it from Fulton, you get it backed up by their reputation and guarantee. Would you get the same from some anonymous Joe selling parts via the Web? Sure, you may pay a little more from FA, but my bet is you'll be happy with the finished product.

Check rec.guns, where Clint is a regular, and/or do a search on Deja to find how others feel about FA.

Regards,
--
Brian

[This message has been edited by brionic (edited May 10, 2000).]

brionic said:
>>Sure, you may pay a little more from FA, but my bet is you'll be happy with the finished product.<<

Not to carp too much, but A LITTLE???
He'll be paying about FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS more.

If you are a mechanically inclined "do-it-yourself'er" you could build your own...you have to get a receiver with an FFL, but after that, you can have totally assembled and test fired upper, and all the parts for the lower for about $420. Check out www.ar15.com for just about every bit of info you would want.

Quote from original message
"I don't mind paying for quality but I only want to pay once."

You will be paying for it more than once. I bought a BM 16" shorty and thought that was it, but the guy on the otherside of the coutner said "They are like bunnies I put one in the safe and next thing I knew I had 5 of them." I've one 2 complete rifles and a 1 complete lower. Would have more, but the state of California thinks that these weapons are too dangerous for me.

Here what will happen. You'll get the first one. You'll shoot it and like it, your wife will shoot and like it and then in order to maintain martial bliss you will need another one. Be ready to spend more its ok though it happens to all of us.

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?
http://yellowman.virtualave.net/

There's not much difference in the 1:9 and 1:12 twists, when using 55gr. M193 ball, as far as accuracy goes. The 1:12 does have a considerable edge in the severity of the wounds produced. Being less well stabilized by the 1:12 barrel, the bullet will be more likely to yaw in tissue, possibly snapping in two at the cannelure, or even yawing a full 180 degrees causing violent expansion as the exposed lead base becomes foremost. The 1:9 or 1:7 barrels tend to stabilize the bullet to such an extent that this doesn't happen.

Of course, if one is using soft-points, this really doesn't matter.

Rosco

Back