Militia in Discovery Channel

Pthfndr

Monday night at 8pm eastern and pacific time on the Discovery Channel's "Inside", the show will be about militias, and the 51st Missouri Militia specificaly.

I saw that. Aside from possible ulterior motives and latent rhetorics, and just focusing on strictly what they have presented... you know, I wouldn't mind joining that.

I mean, I never considered myself the militant right wing type (and still don't), but they don't strike me as one either. Just folks who are really into certain aspects of the Constitution. Law abiding, tax paying citizens who do their own thing. I have no problem that. Besides, the paintball and contigency scenarios sure look like fun. ;)

The only con statement was by that director, professor guy who doesn't like fringe groups. Again, the militia openly claims they are not a fringe group (which, IMHO, is realistically very plausible). The professor claims that fringe groups like the 51st pick and choose parts of the Constitution to suit their own needs, but frankly, I don't think they do. I think they emphasize certain ones more than the others. But that's hardly the evil picking and choosing the professor makes it out to be.

Only thing I don't like from the start is how they chose to call themselves the 51st (after the 51 days of the Waco stand-off). I'm not going to dig that one up, except to say that to each their own.

Maybe I should start my own militia that will suit my rhetoric: The friendly neighbor militia. Just some good folks from the area who are willing to be both armed and peaceful. Hehe.

Anyways, it was a really good show. I'm glad I watched it.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited July 13, 1999).]

Back