Military post flag poles with .45s??

glockjeeper

When I was in the Army, I was told that there was only one truck on a military post. That was what the large brass ball on the top of the post's main flag pole was called. Inside that truck were some matches, a razor, and a .45 pistol (obviously a M1911A1). We were told that in case of the post being over thrown that the last man leaving would take down the flag, climb the pole and knock the truck off of the top, use the razor to cut the flag up, use the matches to burn it, and then shoot themselves with the .45. I know, I know....was probably just having my leg pulled. But I wasn't the only one told this. I heard lots of people say it. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, can you imagine if there was a SINGER in one of those trucks!?

Just curious...what's the penalty for cutting down a bases' flagpole? Consider this might be done after taps. I wonder how many bases will report missing poles tomorrow?

They would know first thing in the morning when the flag detail goes out to raise the flag again. I'm sure someone would try and find out what the hell was going on. Not sure of the penalty. If they were military personnel then at least an Article 15, possibly and more likely a court martial. If they are civilians, then the local PD would handle it. Then they would probably just get a slap on the wrist.

I guess the Air Force finally has something on the Army!

Trucks on Air Force bases have a round of ammo (to continue to fight the enemy), a match (to burn the flag), and grains of wheat (to rebild the country). A little more honorable than cutting up the flag and killing yourself.

Steve, I think that sounds familiar too. Do you know anymore about the history of this practice. I also should have mentioned that there was one or more rounds of .45 in the pistol on Army posts too.

All flag poles are building number 1 on army posts. The truck is the ball at the top of the flag pull. Barried under ground a certain distance and direction from the base of the flag, is a box that gennerally contains a round, not the pistol as well as the matches and razor. the razor, like you said is to seperate the feild from the stripes and burn. The round is to be the last round fired. I think it is a rumor that it is to be into the generals head (suicide) ala captain going down with the ship kind of thing. This is from my memory going before post boards. I used to know the distance and direction but I no longer recall.

[Edited by ajacobs on 03-07-2001 at 11:08 PM]

I was told the same basic story when I enlisted in the Marine Corps, sometime during or after Marine Combat Training. The funny thing is I remember that the guy telling me this was prior service ARMY who enlisted in the Marine Corps, so I don't truly know if it's a tradition for the Marines as well or not.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Currect me if I am wrong...

I think that strictly speaking the "truck" is the pulley at the top of the pole but I agree that military tradition makes it the ball. About the rest I am not certain if it is fact or fiction.

Adventurer_96 - he was still mixed up from being in the Army. Everyone knows that in the Marine Corps, all that's in there is one last can of "whup a$$." Last man alive climbs up there, opens up that can of "whup a$$" and proceeds to do same to the enemy.

Forts with "loaded" trucks:

These are the ones I know of for sure: (Not all pistols are .45 cal 1911... some are ball and cap)
West Point
Meyer
Benning
Knox
Bragg
Lewis
AP Hill

Do you guys know of others for sure?

A military Urban Legend. I wouldn't doubt that at some time it's been thought of bringing it to reality, but c'mon, a blued or Parkerized weapon wouldn't last under the conditions described without some serious weatherproofing.

No... It is not "Urban Legend". Its a tradition that has old roots.

And it doesnt matter if the gun wont last. Who care's? It's Symbolic. The act in placing those items in there has a meaning. And it's that meaning that lasts. Or would you actually expect to climb that pole and use a 200 year old match?

I agree George Hill.....

There are alot of things that the military (no matter what branch you Marines that are on here) instills into someone. Pride of service and military tradition is just some of these things. After you have been in the service you never look at some things the same way again. Whenever I hear the national anthem or Lee Greenwood's, I'm Proud To Be An American, damn near brings tears to my eyes because of all the history and sacrifice I think of. Symbolism is very important also. Just like you said Mr. Hill.

"Airman, how many trucks are on this base?" "Hundreds Sir!" "Negative Airman! There is only one truck and that is on top of the flag at base HQ! The military "trucks are GOV's and the privately owned trucks ar POV's!" I'll never forget that from Boot Camp. One bullet , one G.I. 1911 and matches.

Not to incriminate myself

But I also was told that Army Legend. I didn't believe it and even went to the trouble of late night investigation.

There is a certain East Coast Army Post with two main flagpoles since the post is rather long. One for sure has a completely hollow truck. The other I do not know.

There is no identifiable metal box buried nearby as far as my metal detector would tell.

Now other posts? Didn't get the chance.

Technically, it is spelled TRUK not Truck. A truck is something that moves men and materiel. A Truk is a ball at the top of the flagpole that supposedly holds the .45 ACP bullet, matches and razorblade. Now for more trivia: Where are the only flags authorized to be flown 24 - 7 forever?

Back