Mil-Dot? or "better" scope for same money?

thaddeus

I can get a Mil-Dot from Leupold in 3-9*40 for $369.

Or, I can get a Var-X 3 2.5-8*36 with the standard crosshairs from Leupold for $374.

The Mil-Dot seems to be in a class of it's own, and is not listed as a "Vari-X", so I don't know how it compares to the others in quality.
Are the optics in the Vari-X 3 better than in the Mil-Dot?

Any comments on the usefullness of the Mil-Dot for a hunter/target shooter/tactical (probably never) scope?

Mil-Dot's in general seem to run quite a bit higher that their regular counterparts, so I am assuming that if I get a "regular" crosshair scope, then I will be getting a better scope for the money....?

thanks,
thaddeus

Leupold offers scopes with the mil dot recticle in their Mark IV and Vari-X 3 scope lines. A Vari-X 3 is the same scope quality no matter what recticle you choose. Leupold does offer options in the Vari-X 3 line: side focus, target turrets, magnification range- 3.5-10x, 4.5-14x, etc...

The Mark IVs are the top of the line and more ruggedly made to understand the punishment from military use. The Mark IV's are only fixed power since military snipers are shooting from a distance (no need for low power for the close shots experienced by law enforcement). Of course you pay a higher price for this quality!

Leupold has recently introduced a Vari-X III
3.5-10x long range M1 & M3 under their target/law enforcement line of products. These scopes are a hybrid- matching the turrets/side focus of the Mark IV with the optics/tube of the Vari-X III line. It should be more then enough scope for most people!

Do you need a mil-dot or other crosshair type recticle. That depends on the type of shooting you plan on doing. If you are punching holes in a paper target at the range, you don't really need it. If hunting, it is very handy. But remember, the old duplex rectiles can also be used for a range estimation! Most are 18" @ 100 yards between the area where the opposing posts taper to a fine line.

For more information, check out www.leupstv.com or www.snipercountry.com

Thaddeus;

RCH covered the different scope types (Mark-4, Veri-X III, etc. so I'll just discuss the use of the MilDot recticle.

OK... for hunting. My rifle is topped with a Leupold Mark-4 10x w/MilDot (it wasn't designed as a hunting rifle but as a... aaaaaah.... precision rifle... yeah... thats it!). I decided to use it this year to harvest some meat. Picked up my ammo and figured the trijectory of that round. The load I choose put the bullet 2.5" high @ 100, 0" at 200, and 9" low at 300.

The place I have my stand set-up at is at the bottom of a V shaped field boarded by woods. The right leg affords a 125 yard shot, the left a shot out to 280 yards.

Now. If a large antlered critter shows up at the far end of the right side all I have to do is use the bottom of the first MilDot ABOVE the cross hair (hold under) for my aiming point. If one shows up at the far end of the left side I use the bottom of the first MilDot BELOW the cross hair (hold over) as my aiming point. I know where 200 yards is in the field and all I have to do is aim dead on.

MilDots can also be used for windage adjustment using the same principles. This would come in handy for target shooting.

The benefit of the MilDot is that it provided accurate rangeing ability (size of object in yds * 1000 / size of object in Mils = range) and multipul aiming points for hold over/under and leads/windage WITHOUT having to waste any valuable time adjust knobs.

If you know someone with a copy of "Ultimate Sniper" the MilDot concept/use is explained in detail in there. If you don't drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to ya.

IMO the MilDot is the best recticle since sliced bread. My only regreat is that you can't get it on EVERY scope... I think it would be perfect for the Scout Scope (going along with the concept of the Scout as a general purpose rifle... why not a General Purpose recticle?!?)

Oh... why are MilDots recticles more $$ ? Think about it... putting those ittle bitty dots on that ittle bitty wire. Making sure each ittle bitty dot subtends .9" (9") and the space btwn them subtends 2.7" (27") at 100 yards (1000 yards).

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited April 23, 1999).]

Back