Mike Venturino

ligonierbill

I recently quoted one of his books, as I often do when discussing old cartridges. He's been one of my primary references for "Old West" guns and ammo. I just learned Mike left us a few weeks ago. I will miss his articles in Handloader and his vast knowledge of one of my favorite class of firearms. I recommend any and all of his books, even if you're not loading for an antique.

Mike will be greatly missed. He was a stalwart to handloaders and casters. May the memory of his attributes be long lasting. I, personally, am saddened at this loss of knowledge, creativity and authorship. RIP.

I read articles by him on topics that I wasn't interested in, simply because he was entertaining. I also admired him for "reinventing" himself from a varmint hunter to an old west shooter to a military arms collector. He was a practical shooter and reloader that told you what worked and what didn't. He'll be missed.

same

Me too. Mike V. knew his stuff and his interests with BP, lever and WWII guns was not mainstream and appealing to me for that reason.

Al lot of the old scribes are gone. Regretably, that era of time when the gun magazines were the source, are gone too.

We're getting old........and the world is changing.

The kids are fascinated by Glocks and black rifles now.

A culture of hunting and fishing is dying........maybe mostly dead.

Keith, O'Connor, Page, Whelen, Ruark, Askins.........dead and quickly becoming forgotten.

Back