Might there be a Consensus FA Advocacy Group Here?

Ambidextrous

Greetings - long time, no visit on my part.

I do not wish to start a firestorm, but wondering if you-all have a preferred advocacy or lobbying group here at The Firing Line? I have previously been with the NRA, but allowed my membership to lapse a few years ago and am now looking to throw my support behind one or another (or several if I can afford it) and not sure where I, and we, might be best served...there seems to be many more organizations since I last looked around - NRA, GOA, 2AF (or is it SAF?), and so on....

Thx in advance,
g.

Last edited:
In addition to the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), the Firearms Policy Coalition is very active in litigation. Here's a link to a list of their current cases.

It depends on what sort of advocacy you're talking about. If it's litigation and legal challenges, the 2nd Amendment Foundation and Firearms Policy Coalition have done good work.

If it's actual lobbying, the NRA is still the 800lb gorilla on the national level. Nobody has their clout. There are certainly serious issues at the leadership level, but they're still doing work behind the scenes. They're also the folks who gave us the recent Bruen decision.

The thing to remember, as with most things political, is that stuff starts on the local level. Check your state-level organizations.

(While they're the most vocal of the bunch, I can't really point to anything significant GOA has achieved, and they've caused a few problems.)

Check out your state level organization. State organizations often do a lot of heavy lifting and get very little support.

I see you are in Virginia. If you aren't yet a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, that is a very good place to start. The League has been instrumental in making many changes in favor of our Second Amendment rights. They have been the model for several other state organizations.

I prefer the GOA over the NRA for the way the NRA has behaved here in Florida. Our state GOA head is VERY active and always in Tallahassee whereas the NRA seems noticeably absent

Wow, thank you all very much...great feedback/info...sounds like my first contribution will be made at my state level, followed by something to SAF, and either FPC or the NRA..

Thank you all, again.

I prefer the GOA over the NRA for the way the NRA has behaved here in Florida. Our state GOA head is VERY active and always in Tallahassee whereas the NRA seems noticeably absent
Thanks for the input...could it be that the NRA is more involved elsewhere (states up north & CA mostly) because they are more needed (MUCH more) than they are in the south...FL, TX, and my own VA, for instance?

Ambidextrous said:
Thanks for the input...could it be that the NRA is more involved elsewhere (states up north & CA mostly) because they are more needed (MUCH more) than they are in the south...FL, TX, and my own VA, for instance?
No.

I'm from "up nawth." The NRA is notably absent around here -- they're always asking for money but, when the annual anti-gun bills are before the legislature, it's our state's grass roots organization (one of those modeled after the VCDL in Virginia) that does all the work.

If you check my signature, you'll see that I'm a life member of the NRA ... but I suggested supporting the SAF. There's a reason -- I have no wish to fund Wayne LaPierre's continuing depredations of the NRA and its members.

I support the NRA. Always have. Family tradition, and good sense. But as long as LaPierre is involved (and in charge) the NRA gets my moral support, but not one penny of my cash.

Today I received a request from the NRA to pay my dues even though my obligation will not arrive until January 2023. Signed by Mr.LaPierre.
I sent it back without payment, with a note attached that advised if the organization was that much in need of dues in advance, perhaps they should consider reviewing Mr. LaPierre's expense account for needed funds.

Today I received a request from the NRA to pay my dues even though my obligation will not arrive until January 2023. Signed by Mr.LaPierre.
I sent it back without payment, with a note attached that advised if the organization was that much in need of dues in advance, perhaps they should consider reviewing Mr. LaPierre's expense account for needed funds.
Yeah absolute DAMNED SHAME what Wayne LaPierre has done there...if he was any kind of man he would get the hell out of the way now...would have stepped down (and OUT) a few years back, but DEFINITELY NOW, at THIS precarious point!

Back