Might have a lead on some old molds

Old 454

I found a little reloading store in the middle of nowhere. I bought an ol Whack-a-mo(Lee Reloader) in 38 spl. for 10 bucks from 1963 darn thing works great.

In talking to this old timer I inquired about bullet molds for hand gun bullets. He said he thought he had some old bronze and steel molds and will try digging them out for my return trip there.

So my question to you all is what should I be looking for as far as Mold maker or damage. I can pretty much judge a steel mold I think IE rust warping etc. but I am not familar at all about bronze molds.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Same goes for `bout all molds , rust/corrosion lead smears, alignment pin wear, any warpage of blocks sprue plates, battering & general care of the mold, missing or frozen(rusted/corroded) in place screws.

Handles include, titnes/binding of hinge bolt, any altering of the mold screw holes or thickness of the metal tangs & condition of the wood & ferrules, missing nails in ferrules, are handles glued on .

But if the price is rite I tend to bring em home & nuture em back to health or at least to a useable state of existance.

GP

Bronze molds? More likely brass. Brass molds are very good, but tend to like a bit more heat than al. or iron molds. They are more prone to cavity damage because they are softer than steel, but harder than al-umimium .

Alignment pins can be replaced, the hinges can be tightened, or the handles can be replaced. The sprue plates can be bought new, IF they're Lyman.

I'd buy just about any brass or iron mold, I could re-build them. Especially if they're no longer being offered, IE discontinued.

Back