Might buy a Keltec P11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHORTFUSE

Talk me into or out of buying a P11. I know the trigger pull is long , probably inaccurate , don't know about reliability? Recoil has got to HURT at that light weight. I need answers & info before I buy. Let's hear it all , the GOOD and the BAD.

One good source of info is the kel-tec owners group at www.ktog.org

Lot of usefull info there.

Personal experience, you are right about the trigger pull, long and hard (IMO). Not inaccurate, shot as well with it at close range as with my other guns (Taurus PT99 & S&W 669). Not much worse at 20-50 feet. It does sting your hand with hot loads but with 125gr-147gr it was pleasent to shoot. Never had any problems with it but only shot maybe 500 rounds before I sold it.

Reason I sold it, was a little to small for my hand and I wasn't very accurate past 10 feet. The trigger pull made it difficult for me to practice with it as much as I would have liked. Could only get through 50 rounds before my hand got weak.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

For $200, try it, it might grow on you. I don't think there are reliability problems that the maker can not fix easily if they show up. I liked both of mine and will probably get a third before long (they hold their value and are too easy to use as trading material!).

I think I can fix any "reliability" problems that may occur. What I need to know in depth about are two issues.

1) RECOIL

2) ACCURACY

A thought recoil was a non-issue with the P11 9mm even when I added the P40 slide to it and shot full power .40 S&W out of it. I a surprised about the comments I hear complaining of excessive recoil in a P11 because I consider myself to be somewhat recoil sensitive.

I think the gun is as accurate as most self defense handguns. The problem is a large number of people have a problem shooting a P11 accurately because of the long trigger pull.

I am kinda recoil sensitive as well, but I carry CorBon 115 +p in my P-11. I don't notice the sting so much, but I don't
range practice with the CorBons. I believe the hardest part is getting used to the long trigger pull, but once that is learned, the accuracy is there. That long hard trigger is also why I feel the KelTec is safe to carry with one in the pipe. I added the White trigger stop, and a Handall Jr. Helps alot. This gun is designed to be a defensive piece, and I am very happy with this gun shooting at this distance. For targets, I shoot a S&W .22 pistol.

------------------
You can never have too much ammo!---- Me (being a role model to my 5 year old)

Recoil was certainly not painful and I would have gotten used to it. The trigger pull and how it fit my hand were the major reasons for getting rid of mine. Kept pinching my trigger finger when I pulled the trigger (I've got big hands).

I had low hopes when I got mine.

Boy was I shocked. I don't know how to say this and remain credible, but my Kel Tec P-11 is among THE most accurate guns I have ever shot at close range, right out of the box. At *medium* range, it is about as accurate as all my other guns, which is a compliment. I have owned guns that cost thousands of dollars, (several of them), so I am not talking as a beginner here. I am comparing the accuracy,shot for shot in slow fire, to that of a Sig, HK, or finely tuned 1911. It does not get much more accurate than "one-ragged-hole", and that is what I shoot with my Kel Tec P-11, off hand, out to about 10 or 12 yards, when I take my time, on one of my better days.
When I picked up my P-11 the *first* time, I drilled one ragged hole at 10 yards. I was amazed. This is with slow fire though. The trigger does not allow you to shoot quickly and accuratly at any decent range. If you start trying to shoot against the clock at medium ranges, you will learn to appreciate your other guns for their light triggers. But, the gun is as accurate as you are. If you can get the trigger down, the gun can keep up with however accurate you are with it.

Mine has also been %100 reliable. I bought it with about 300 rounds through it, so it was broken in, but still just like it came out of the box, not modified at all. It has never jammed or malf'd or any such thing.

I got the pinky extensions, 12 round mags, and the Hogue Jr grip and it feels GREAT in my hand! I have people close their eyes, and then I hand it to them. With the grip modifications, they usually "ooh and aah" about how good it feels in their hand. then I ahve them look at what they are holding and they can't believe it.

Recoil is NOT a problem (for me anyway).
I don't know how else to put it, but recoil is just the same as any other small 9mm. It does not hurt at all, but of course it "kicks" a bit.

The trigger is tough though and my trigger finger get's tired when I shoot it much. It is not the gun you want to spend the day at the range with. It is like a snubby: put a few magazines of ammo through it at the end of your shooting session, after you have had fun shooting your other guns. Once again, it's not the recoil that gets you, it's the trigger that will make you tired after shooting it a bit. It will make your other triggers feel really good though.

The heavy trigger is a safety mechanism, because there is no external safety. But, at the same time, it is the Kel Tec's main drawback.
An advantage to the Kel Tec trigger is that it is a true double-action. If you get a light primer strike (which I have never had), your natural instinct under extreme pressure will be to pull the trigger a couple of times (probably before you realize your gun is not shooting). There is the chance that the primer could be ignited on your second or third pull of the trigger.

Recoil and accuracy are not a problem. Accuracy is all about mastering the trigger. When I shoot slow and steady at a target, I can hit anything with it out to 20 yards or so. It's all about holding the gun steady while you draw the trigger. The faster you pull the trigger, the more you jerk the short gun. As I said, the gun is as accurate as you are with it.

------------------

Drink Red Bull, it'll give you wings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back