Midway's Deluxe Shooting Rest

RDF

They have it on sale for $85.00. Would this be a good rest for zeroing scopes and checking group size? Or would I be better off buying a Wichita?

I haven't seen the Wichita so I can't give you a comparison. But, I bought the Midway Deluxe last year, also on sale, and it is a very good rest. Very solid with all the adjustments you could want in a relatively low priced rest. Be sure to get a good set of bags to go with it.

Okay - I shoot benchrest, so I'm biased...

I think that the Midway is WAY too light - It'll want to move around on your bench. May as well have their plastic jobbie... I've got a Hart rest, and I'm very happy with it. I use a Hoehn top on it, but just about any "standard" top will fit it, since the Hart is the "standard." The Midway can't take aftermarket accessories. I have heard of someone who poured a lead weighting system for his Midway, but that's too much work for me...

Bogie - I'm don't know that the Midway is WAY too light. It doesn't seem to move around when I use it for benchrest shooting. What else would it be used for, BTW? Are you sure you're thinking of the Deluxe model? Their other one is light and flimsy. How much does the Hart rest weigh?

Hoppe's Expert Rest has screws in the feet. I just tapped three holes in the bench and screw the rest right into the top. Solid.

My Hart rest likely weighs 15 pounds or so... Hefty, with big honkin' screws. It don't wanna move without major coaxing. The Midway I saw may have come in at five pounds or so... The Midway also wouldn't take "standard" tops, etc., so that if you wanted to add a Hoehn top or a speed screw, you'd be out of luck.

One thing to remember here - I'm a benchrest shooter - Look at the "real" competitors - You'll see Harts, Bald Eagles, Farleys, etc., and homemade machinist specials, but you won't see the Midways on the line. Not that they're "bad," per se, but there's just so much out there that's better. If you're shootin' critters, the Midway's fine. But to get your groups down into the ones...

[This message has been edited by Bogie (edited August 25, 2000).]

I was about to ordered the midway, till I check this forum again. Still don't know which one to get. Dillon has the Wichita which is 11-lbs. And they show a Comb Rifle/ pistol rest for $168.00. I haven't seen either of these rests in person. I don't want to spend alot on a rest,but then i don't want to waste money either.

According to the my Midway cat., the Gibraltar "Deluxe" rest does only weight 5.5lbs. Seems to me, though, that the originator of this thread was interested in zeroing scopes and checking groups...not exactly benchrest criteria.

I shoot in the 2's with Midway's plastic rest with a factory .223 VS, modified only with a Timney trigger. I'd think that the Gibraltar would be o.k. for the purpose described by RDF.

At $62.99 in my Midway dealer's cat., it's probably a pretty good buy.

Back