Midsouth now charging sales tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Califo

I was preparing an order on MidsouthShootersSupply.com and was shocked to see they are NOW charging sales tax for California. That adds 10%, and considering $12 shipping on a small order, and their current lack of rifle powders, all primers, and Speer bullets, this will save me money by vetoing orders not absolutely necessary.
I did receive my RCBS Charge Master Combo two weeks ago, without sales tax.
Dark day for taxpayers.

It isn't that they are "charging" sales tax. It is that they are now "collecting" sales tax. Big difference. Your state is the one who is charging the tax. Even before internet retailers were collecting, you still actually legally owed the tax to CA - just that states couldn't justify the cost of trying to collect it on small-ticket items.

I have no issue with paying taxes as owed. Roads, bridges , schools don't just appear out of conjuring from thin air (yea too much goes to stupid stuff like Curb improvements but that is life)

You could live in AK where you can't order powder or primers (well you can, at a cost so high that the moon is closer)

It is additional out- of-pocket.
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.
California, IMO, has no right to tax out of state transactions, although the do.

Big question would be "do the internet retailers actually remit the sales tax collected" to the respective states. LOL

Yes they do or face huge fines and penalties.
Before the internet, interstate sales of goods was so minor from catalog sales that states didn't bother. However, now they have realized that they are losing millions in uncollected "use tax" (the name for sales tax on items from out of state) that they are scrambling to scrounge all they can so can give it away to illegals and boondoggles instead of learning to reduce spending........

Marco, the transaction you are describing is not "out of state" . It is still "in state" because the product lands in CA. Taxing at the point of destination has been around long before you and I were born. It's just that now the states have a mechanism to collect it.

That's so. The digital transaction services collect it automatically now. They pretty much have to because, unlike a small merchant handling the transactions for themselves, these services are large enough for the states to find them worthwhile to sue.

The reason they call it a "use" tax is you are using the item in the state collecting the tax, which is what their right to collect it is based on. It's not entirely unreasonable. You will use that state's roads to drive to the range to shoot. Avoiding the tax is also legal, but the use of transaction services by small businesses make that increasingly difficult to do. The motivation for small businesses to use the service is they, the small business, do not have to go through the hassle of qualifying for credit with a bank, as directly having the ability to process credit card transactions requires them to do. With the transaction service handling that, it is actually easier to get a small business started than it was when I first did it in the 1970s.

The great thing about this is, now I don't have to worry about not claiming purchases on the internet that I didn't pay the sales tax on. I am no longer a Tax Cheat!

Not that I believe the state of Wisconsin would come after me with a warrant for tax evasion on the little bit I buy. But I at least now have a clear conscious.

It is additional out- of-pocket.
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.
California, IMO, has no right to tax out of state transactions, although the do.

Note: When one uses the IMO, then the term legal, that totally is contradictory. Legal is not fair, but it is the rule of the land or state. Ergo, we have the right to change it but as ruled or on the books, its not an IMO. Fair? Yes that is an opinion aspect. Legal and Fair have nothing to do with each other.

First sentence: Subjective, if your state has a tax, then its no additional (see note 2)

Second Sentence: Also not an IMO, if you get caught, you can be charged or you can arrange in some cases to correct without penalty other than paying. You can also go to prison on some charges. It all depends on enforcement.

third sentence: See one and two

All of this tax business is reason enough to look at the current 5000+ page "Covid-19 supplement" bill and see how it is blended in with the pork bill to spend OUR money for purposes other than those needed for the needs of those in the USA. I wonder how much of international money traces back to financial benefits gained by the members of Congress who are supposed to represent OUR interests? All the more reason to save the 2nd Amendment.

Marco Califo said:
AB, you know what IMO means??

I do.

Some things are matters of opinion -- other things are matters of fact. If one's opinion on something factual is objectively incorrect, then the opinion is wrong. The fact that California has a right to collect sales tax on Internet sales is a fact, so an opinion that the Republic of California has no such right is incorrect.

If you want to delve into subjective questions, such as whether or not its morally defensible for the Republic of California to collect sales tax on Internet sales -- that's a proper discussion for an opinion. In theoretical discussions on subjective questions, no opinion is "right" or "wrong."

SCOTUS says that any company shipping orders to a state that requires sales tax to be collected is required to collect and remand those taxes to the state in question if their sales to buyers in that state exceed a certain threshold that is set by the state in question.

Technically, the buyer has always owed these taxes, there was just no enforcement. The states found a way to enforce it and SCOTUS agreed that they had the right to do so. Like it or not, it is the law of the land.

And it has nothing to do with Firearms, Handloading/Reloading/Bullet Casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back