Micro/mini red dot on SD9 ?

kymasabe

So, my old eyes don't see the front sight as well as they used to, am considering putting a red dot on my pistol.
I dont want anything too big that hangs off the side of the slide, so am considering Vortex Viper. Burris Fastfire3, Sightmark Mini Shot, maybe Sig Romeo Zero. Working with a small budget. Can't afford much more than that. I'm thinking I might skip adapter plates and have the slide milled instead.
SD9 triggers suck, I'm currently running Apex springs with stock trigger, which greatly improves trigger weight.
I'm thinking of sending the gun to Galloway Precision for the mill work, and their trigger and springs. But, in the end, is it worth investing all that in an SD9?
Suggestions? Red dot recommendations and how well do they fit on top of the slide?

i have a burris fastfire 3 on my turkey shotgun and it takes a pounding with no problems. they make mounts for other rifles-pistols-shotguns.

Seeing as the Smith & Wesson SD really isn't set up to mount an optic, modifications to the slide would be costly, likely void the lifetime warranty, and all of the mini red dot sights that I've ever heard of for the SD are dovetailed into the rear sight channel and have a tendency to walk out under recoil, I would sooner suggest some nice Fibre Optic sights. They're cheaper, more secure, don't add any weight to the pistol, and they're solar powered.

Direct milling tends to work well. The question is if you’re willing to spend the money and then which sight pattern you want the slide drilled for. Given the cost of the SD9 some might be reluctant to spend the money for milling relative to the original cost of the pistol. What I will say is for my eyes and the eyes of a number of older shooters red dots are pretty great. Fiber optics aren’t a bad option and are fairly cheap, however. So you could try that first if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back