Michigan Shotgun Zone

Does anyone have any info at all about perhaps some changes that would allow pistol caliber rifles, such as 357mag & 44Mag lever actions or bolt carbines in the zone that has traditionally been "shotgun" in the lower half of lower Michigan? I heard the neighboring state of Indiana allows that equipment option so I was curious if Michigan might do the same? I'm pretty sure handguns using those rounds are ok, but it would be nice if a rifle like the Ruger 77/44 could be used. I guess the big difference is that these rounds are straight walled and might be limited in range compared to a high power center fire bottle shaped round. Perhaps population density is also a factor.

Yep

It's Michigan House Bill 5249 and right now it's stuck in the committee on Outdoor Recreation and Tourism. Not to get all political but, I think with all the gun control issues the bill is being stalled and who knows when it will reach the senate.

I spend most of my deer season in the south zone and would love to see this pass. Since I relaod, I would get a 44 mag barrel for my TC Encore in a heart beat and would have no need for the premium slugs any longer.

Here's a link to the bill:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dm...g.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-HB-5249

There's been chatter in ohio for years over this. I wish they'd just allow it, for crying out loud you can shoot deer with and inline muzzy at 250 yards but you can't shoot a straight wall pistol in a rifle... Makes no sense at all..

I don't generally gun hunt at all here, but I'd be thrilled to hunt with a lever gun in a pistol caliber. Maybe someday it'll come through.

The county I live and hunt in (NY) just made it legal to hunt big game with a centerfire rifle. Im very happy about this new opportunity.

Thanks D. H.

Regardless, it looks like it's still suck in lala land. I would love to see the change to the shotgun zone as well.

It just makes sense. Especially for recoil sensitive shooters. It would also boost the economy! Can you imagine how many people would be running out to buy a pistol caliber rifle?

rifles are a no no in the shotgun zone. Dont expect anything to actually change on that any time soon. To late for the current seasons anyway.

The thing is i cannot legally use a m1 garand in the shotgun zone. i cant use my 44 mag lever gun. But i can use an encore with a 15 inch barrel in 44 mag. only 2 inches of barrel difference but only one is legal

The thing is i cannot legally use a m1 garand in the shotgun zone. i cant use my 44 mag lever gun. But i can use an encore with a 15 inch barrel in 44 mag. only 2 inches of barrel difference but only one is legal
What is legal or not and what is logical have no correlation. Shotguns only in the heavier populated Southern Michigan zone is supposedly for safety reasons (stray bullet theory). However, the powers that be (Michigan), seem to be oblivious to the fact that one may hunt varmints with rifles (no restriction on caliber or bullet type), but not deer in zone three. Also, statistics of Michigan deer hunting season deaths show that almost all the shootings have been of the, "I thought it was a deer...", (well within the shorter shotgun lethal range) category, hardly ever, the errant, "stray bullet" from a quarter-mile away.

Back