Michigan Safety Inspection Question

Sportdog

I inherited a small H&R 32 S&W 5 shot revolver, pretty old but in very good shape. The pistol "breaks open" to load and unload, not the normal way a modern revolver that has the cylinder flip out. I'm sure that this pistol is not registered. It shoots fine and I have ran over 50 rounds through it so the function is not an issue. My question is that due to the age of the firearm, and the "break open" issue, the local sheriff department may not pass it for safety. There is also a concern that the only numbers on the revolver is a four digit number on the cylinder. My question is as follows: Does the sheriff department have the right to confiscate this pistol if they deem it unsafe or will they just tell me that I cannot have the pistol outside my residence? For the record I do have a Michigan CPL. Thanks for any advice or answers.:confused:

Is there a legal requirement that the gun be registered? What is this safety inspection thing? There is no way on God's green Earth that I would let a cop handle one of my guns for a "safety inspection", and I am in California.

That said, I don't think the age or design of the gun would make it unsafe, especially since it functions properly.

Tim

the local sheriff department may not pass it for safety

As far as I know, the Michigan "safety inspection" has absolutely nothing to do with safety, OR inspecting. It's gun registration, plain and simple.

Certainly didn't do anything resembling a safety inspection the last time I brought in a gun. Just made sure the serial number matched the paperwork.

Michigan's gun safety inspection is just a registration, last gun I took in the front clerk stated something along lines of " Your here for your gun registration":( They gave me back my SIG with the hammer cocked back so they at least fiddle with them.

All I can say is I have real concerns about how Michigan defines a safety inspection. In my county the secretary does the inspection. Now she may be a former special forces guru but after talking with her on several occasions I sincerly doubt she ever held a gun before assuming her current typing duties.

As for them taking it, I would talk to a lawyer.

JP

Well I went straight to the Sheriff and he assured me there would be no problems. I recently had a safety inspection/registration of another pistol but it was fairly new and didn't look like a "Saturday Night Special" like this 32 does.:eek: Just for the information, on my last inspection, a 50+ year old secretary did it and she seemed nice but very uncomfortable handling the pistol. I'm going in to the Sheriff Department to take care of this in the morning. I'll post what happens. Thanks for the replies!:)

Back