Michigan purchase law

bustersmaster

My brother-in-law bought a new revolver a couple days ago and he was told by the Firearms dealer that Mi. no longer requires the so-called safety inspection of a newly purchased handgun by the local sheriff or police dept.
That would sound like good news, but I'm wondering if this is true, it sure has been a well kept secret. Has anyone else heard anything like that? I went to the Mi. State Police website and it still has the same old requirements.
Thanks for any help on this.

The so-called "safety inspection" is eliminated. The seller of a pistol shall immediately record the sale on a 4-part (quadruplicate) form provided by the Department of State Police, which the purchaser shall sign. One copy is kept by the seller. One copy is kept by purchaser. Two copies are sent to the police department or county sheriff within 10 days. The forms can be hand-delivered or sent by first-class or certified mail (I recommend certified and hang onto your receipts.) Failure to comply with this rule is civil infraction punishable by a fine of $250 maximum. Violations will also be reported to the state police and the county gun board. The police agency will forward one copy to the state police within 48 hours, and keep the other for at least 6 years. The state police will enter the information into the computer data base within 10 days of receiving it. The purchaser has a right to get a copy of the information that is entered to verify the accuracy of the information. The police or sheriff's department can charge a fee of $1.00 maximum for the copy. The purchaser has to keep his/her copy of the form while carrying or using the pistol for the first 30 days after purchase. After that time, the form need not be carried.

cya Take it in anyways for the inspection, Then if the state troopers say you don't need it get it in writing and get the officers name and badge #

There is no safety inspection any more. Besides the State police don't do them, the local PD does.

Download the PDF on the MSP site. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1645_3500_4615---,00.html Fill it out. You keep one, the seller keeps one, two copies get sent (mailed or in person) to the local PD who then forwards the fourth to the MSP. Been like this since January 2009.

Instead of the pseudo-registration of the "safety inspection" we now have a full blown registration.:rolleyes: Thanks MCRGO.

There are two procedures...

• [1]If you do not have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License), you must go to your local PD and get a purchase permit. At the time of issuance, you will be given a four-part yellow form which must be completed by the seller. The completed form must have two copies sent to the local PD, and they will handle sending a copy to the MSP. Their copies are are annotated on the bottom of the forms.

[2]If you have a CPL, you are not required to to get a purchase permit. Your CPL is your permit. A different four-part form is used, and must be completed by you and the seller. The carbonless form has the top two copies sent by the buyer to the local PD. The seller keeps the bottom copy, and the buyer retains the pink copy.

There is no current carbon copy RI-60 form. Currently we use the form that is available on the MSP site. The old RI-60 forms are not in compliance with the current law.

Thanks

Thank you all for that info. I guess I've been out of the loop on the red tape stuff for awhile. Maybe that means I need to get out there and buy some more guns.

Back