MIA SCOUT

JKC

Inactive
HEY Guys. Need some opinions. Looking hard at the MIA Scout but have a few concerns. Mainly, will the shorter barrel of the scout reduce the ballistics of the .308 to more like those of the 30-30 and if so how much? And how much will the shorter barrel affect accuracy and effective range? I am afraid most of you will recommend the standard length barrel, but I really like the quicker handling feel of the scout. Thanks in advance

Don't let Art scare you away from a shorter barrel in .308. This caliber performs well in a short barrel- in fact, some rebarreled XP 100's and Encore barrels turn in some decent ballistics in .308 with a 15" barrel...

I like the M1A Scout, and frankly can't handle the "full sized" rifle as well as I can whip around that Scout. No, it won't be super accurate- 2 or 3 moa with most factory loads and sub 2 with favored loads. But you will have superior firepower. As far as range is concerned, how far are you shooting? 300 yards or less? If you're shooting farther than that on a regular basis, you will have to rethink your caliber/rifle combination.

You'll never miss the little velocity you'll give up (and those things that you hit will be unlikely to notice any difference). The increase in "handiness" of the rifle, however, is quite noticeable.

The .30-30 cartridge suffers when compared to the .308, not just because of lesser velocity, but because of having to use flat-tipped bullets for safety in tubular magazines.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited April 26, 2000).]

Actually I have heard good things about the accuracy of the scout model rifles. A shorter barrel of the same diameter will be stiffer and will exhibit less barrel whip.

Jake's correct about the barrel harmonics.
Velocity loss from the Scout barrel will be marginal. Go for the Scout.

I did much real research in support of defense contracts.

For the type of round and gun you are talking about. A slower round will still shoot the same size bullet. Unless you are shooting at the limits of the gun in mortar mode at angles of 20 to 40 degrees; I do not believe that it will have a significant effect.

A slow huge round will grab on animal tissues and yank out the meat along with the bone while a fast moving round will go clean through leaving shock wave striations and cuts on the meat.

I hope that whet your appetite.

Yeah - I agree with Hart Industries - I think the Scout .308 will fire the same sized bullets as a regular .308... (WTF?)

I like SBRs... (short Barreled Rifles) and find most of them, when made to quality, are just as accurate as a full length barreled gun.
This is why pistols such as the XP-100 or Encore are often just as accurate as any other given rifle. Your target wont feel the difference in the loss of ballistic energy. You may want to hold off on the 800 meter targets... but your cool out to about 600 easily.

Back