Method of carry late spring through early fall?

gunpowder

OK, After 6 years of holding a CC permit I am finally set up to actually carry. I selected a SW99 for Late Fall to Early Spring but Late spring is just around the corner. How do you carry during this time. I will probably go to a PPK, Kahr, or similar product. OWB is out of the question or I would just carry the SW99. IWB is probably to uncomfortable and the fanny pack is just out of place. I am a wildlife property manager by trade. I also work in a school part-time year round (cant carry there yet :().
Kaki shorts and a T-shirt is common or jeans and a short-sleeve shirt. 6'& 230#; Indiana weather.
Ankle holster is the only route I can come up with. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by gunpowder (edited January 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by gunpowder (edited January 15, 2000).]

Something like a J-frame in a pocket holster. Kahr might work, Kahr owner can help out here. Pocket holster from Uncle Mike's is about 8 bucks and works well in my khaki shorts.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

A Kel-tec P-32 might be your answer and it comes with a belt clip right on the grip.
:)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

During the late spring and all through the summer here in Arizona,I wear shorts with deep pockets, and carry my Taurui. Either my M85, or my M605 with two speed strips will do. If I carry an auto, I carry my Makarov with three magazines. This is just for concealed carry. Sometimes I just strap on the Walther, or the Ruger, and carry open. :)
You can do that in Arizona. :cool:

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND any other method of carry than ankle for primary gun.

Suggest hip-pocket carry NAA Guardian .32ACP, or S&W M38 pocket carry if you're big enough.

Ankle carry is where you keep your third gun............

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I like the Kahr K9 IWB. The Kahr is probably the flattest of your possible choices. I'm not a big IWB fan, but it does work for me in the summertime here in GA.

I wouldn't carry a Kahr in a pocket. Too heavy.

If you do consider a Kahr, go with the stainlees or electroless nickle. The blue finish is not corrosion resistant enough.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

I'm a fan of IWB rigs.

The pocket holster comes next.

Ankle guns are for backup guns.

Shoulder holsters and cross-draws are specialized use items.

Erik

Does anyone have any experience with the IWB that allows you to tuck your shirt in? Blade-Tech has one that I'm considering getting for warm weather wear. I'd carry a HK P7 or a USP40C.

Sold on IWB. Mainly because it is all within your clothing & not hanging below your shirt or ? BHP is an extremely concealable platform - zip experience with Kahr - so can't comment on which is flatter/more concealable. Any problem I've had is the butt of the stock protruding (printing through clothing) when bending over. I'm tall & thin & wear above w/cut-offs & long T-shirt. A friendly disposition always helps. ;)

Any "extra" shooter (ala ankle holster) is redundant IMHO for civilian CCW. Pick one pistol that works every time, an extra mag (or speed loader) & you're set.

Too, you want to be able to access your shooter immediately when required. It's only prudent to be able to draw & fire quickly if required.

I have spent a bunch of hours trying various clothing scenarios to come up with what works best from my own personal choice (concealability & absolute "no hassle" draw & fire). I've found that a IWB/BHP, tucked T-shirt & wind breaker (no zip or snap - just the Velcro closure which breaks open immediately upon hand sweep to draw pistol) to cover works best for all. In a bit hotter weather, I'll do a long T-shirt over the CCW & I hate having to pull up a shirt to draw. It's a totally unnatural act (for me). Just sweeping a Velco strap breaks very naturally & allows very quick access to the stock of my CCW.

Would be a good idea to practise with various clothing scenarios to determine which 1) conceals & 2) that which would give as much "instant" access to your CCW without interferring with your "practised/normal" draw & pistol presentation.

& BTW, my BHP failed big-time last weekend (when just plinking) as the trigger spring broke & "engagement lever" didn't engage sear = cocked & locked didn't drop hammer = totally useless ... a worthless hunk o' metal.

I'm now carrying a SWM66 2.5" which I don't have proper carry holster for = zip confidense for CCW (prints way too much, etc.) as holster isn't the best for my body stature, etc. Baggy is better in worst case. :) & all my above has gone out the window till I'm back "in the groove" with my cherished BHP. All for a $2 spring! Damn.

I think that this is more of an issue with how you dress rather than anything else. I guess how neatly you dress should be more specific. Living in TX, its pretty much warm year round so you dont have the option of a lot of covering garments. I am sold on IWB. It is not as uncomfortable as people make it sound. I have gone many a 12-14 hour day carrying. Heck, I have even fallen asleep with my gun on. Being that I live in a casual environment I can easily get away with jeans and an untucked T-shirt. Even a pair of dockers with an untucked shirt works without sticking out like a sore thumb. When I have to get a bit more formal and be presentable, then I just wear a sports coat and all is well. I dont know what a wildlife property manager does, but it sounds kind of outdoorish, so you may be able to get away with some sort of vest or unbottoned shirt atop a tucked t-shirt. Go buy one of those trendy mall clothes places and look around. Most places like Abercrombie and such have some good ways to sell you multiple layers of clothing to help their bottom line. Then go to Target and buy a similar outfit for 1/10 the price and voalla you have acceptable fashion sense and concealment. Worst thing that can happen is people will think youre having a mid-life crisis :)

I'm not much into ankle holsters as they are slow, but have worn one when the option of having a gun on my waist was not good, ie touchy feely social event, yuck.

Back