Metalic Silhouette Rifle

Nannuk

Does anybody here do high-power silhouette? I am wondering about the .270 cal for the metal targets. I see very little about this cal and what I do see basically labels it marginal. I like the flat trajectory of the .270, but feel that maybe I should settle for the .308. The .30-06 is not an option as everybody I knows shoots that and I want to be different ;)

Nannuk
Sic Semper Tyrannis

I don't know about the sihlouette rules, but .243 and .270 are expressly banned from any of the SCTC rifle events involving steel plates because they poke holes through them. they apparently have a high enough sectional density and velocity to do this, even with softpoints.

Trajectory does not matter, the targets are at a known distance. You want accuracy and mild recoil. The old standby is the 308, which is what I use with the 168 grain Hornady match BTHP at 2600 FPS muzzle velocity. You can find the trajectory right in the Horandy reloading manual and calculate your scope settings withour firing a shot. Go to the range to confirm the zeros. The starting place is to determine your 200 meter zero. Set your scope target turret to "0" for the 200 meter zero. I recall that I click up to 3.5, 7 and 13 MOA for the targets at 300, 385 and 500 meters.

After using the 308, shooters flocked to the 7mm-08 and now most shooters would build a new rifle in 260 REM or 6.5 -08. The 6.5 Swede works, too. The 243 will ding rams and leave them standing.

My rifle is the REM PSS 308, a rifle like a Varmint Synthetic. I just made weight at 10 lb. and 2 oz. with a Leupold 24x scope by removing the steel magazine follower and swivel stud from the rifle. The barrel on this rifle is 24".

Back