Mesa, AZ wants to ban gun shows there

Oatka

I picked this up from another board. Also got on the Arizona Republic's (Phoenix) message board asking for a URL to the story. I couldn't find it on their Home Page. "Mesa, a city of 350,000 people & a suburb of Phoenix, is currently trying to ban gun shows. As stated in the Arizona Republic in the Valley & State section, a statewide newspaper on 11-4-99, the city council seems to be attacking the entire bill of rights one at a time. They banned newpaper racks containing ***ually explicit newspapers & now they want to attack the second ammendment. I may not like the types of newspapers that they're banning, but the publisher does have the first ammendment right to publish them. These people act as though any public property personally belongs to them, the city council. I suggest a protest either by phone or letter to the Mesa city council by all."

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

You need to have these council people relocated to sunny southern Kalifornia I think they came from my state and infected yours, please send them UPS ground, maybe they will get lost and end up in a nice communist kountry where they belong.

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

Do you really think that we want those laws to be observed? We want them broken. We're after power and we mean it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breakings laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted-and you create a nation of law breakers--and then you cash in on guilt.

A RAND

Good Golly...Arizona is major pro-gun. I am shocked to see this even considered.

What Arizona needs to ban...is Californians!

Just checked the Republic's message boards
and found this reply to my request:

"I live in Mesa, and as usual the media got it wrong. The "ban" is on non-licensed gun dealers making sales without an insta-check at the eight gun shows a year held at our Community Center.

One of our more politically ambitious councilmen saw a way to get his name in the papers by proposing that only FFL holders be able to sell weapons at these shows. FFL holders already make up about 75% of the vendors. There is strong opposition to even this minor proposal by most of the rest of the Town Council on Second Amendment grounds, and chances are it will go absolutely nowhere. Except onto the front page of the paper, as intended."

So, it pays to get confirmation.

Those of you who live in that area ought to "bookmark" that councilman's name and actively support his opponent the next time around.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Actually, although my home state of lovely Arizona is rife with Republicans and Libertarians, the folks in Mesa are well-known for spending quite a lot of time in the sun, as the magazine ban proves. I would not be suprised if within the next couple of years Mesa did attempt to completely ban gun sales of all kinds. I have heard scary things from Mesa politicos. bleh.

I've lived in the Phoenix area for over 30 years now. Mesa was historically a town populated mainly by LDS (Church of Latter Day Saints) / Mormons. I'm not a member of that faith, but over the years I have had the pleasure of working with Mormons and becoming friends with many. I realize that in the eastern U.S. this is an uncommon religion, so let me just say that I find LDS members to be generally very hard working, honest, strong believers in freedom, and yes, 'conservative' when it comes to sex issues (as well as liquor, smoking and other 'vices'). However, they are usually not pacifists by any stretch of the imagination. The LDS history has a lot to do with the fact that most of them cherish their freedoms and their right to self defense.

Of course, Phoenix has experienced a great deal of growth. We have many transplants here from Illinois, California and other states. Some have settled in Mesa. I don't know the councilman in question, but I'd wager that he is one of those misguided transplants. And, I'd wager he'd better watch his fanny now - I don't think many folks in Mesa will go along with this idiocy.

Arizona is still in pretty good hands. But ... we need more logical folks, and fewer nutcases moving in to keep it that way. We'll see what the future holds.

Oatka....Geezz man, don't scare me like that! The Mesa gun shows are great...not as crowded as the coliseum.

But thanks for the wake-up. I don't bother with either of the newspapers...funny we hear local news on TFL!! Let's push for logic and common sense on this.

Jeff....Mesa is indeed an island unto itself when it comes to politics. The public smoking ban outdid anything in Kalifornia.

Dago

The Termark show in Mesa is great.

Let's compare the CROTW;
Free Parking.
Not as many Californians.
More Local People,
Oh Yes, and Wholesale ammo takes almost 1/2 the show before they run out of ammo.

Eric

What is their show schedule? It's a haul for me from Mesquite, NV, but the Vegas and Utah shows seems kinda lame.

Banning of gun shows is at other places and growing. in Harrisburg,Pa no more gun shows at hotels anymore and the only show left is at the farm complex(how long there?) Greencastle show at auto auction is ending in Feb. Jefferson Md. show ended at fire hall(kicked out) I believe gun shows will be banned by Congress within a year. And one reason is that PEOPLE TALK at gun shows. Governmink doesnt like people talking!

Oatka;

Before you make the drive, let me explain, so your not disappointed after the drive.

The valley seems to have 4 types shows;
1. Crossroads of the west at the fair grounds. BIG, lots of everything, especially people. Big vendors, but a pain. You pay for parking, pay to much to get in, and the prices on items are kinda high. Not to many individuals, more shops/dealers from all over. They have 4 shows a year with two being bigger than the other two. http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/
2. Termark
Also held at the fairgrounds in Phx, but also the CC in Mesa. Much smaller, and much more local. Lots of small stuff, but don't go in looking for that great deal on a glock. Just not that much compeition. Galco and such will not be there, so some items are hard to find. BUT, for ammo and most parts, they have what you'll need. Parking is free in Mesa and the admission price is cheaper then crossroads. They have one about every other month
3. Roadrunner, and Arizona Arms Shows.
Much, Much smaller, held at VFW halls or the Phx CC. More beanie baby and camera crap than firearms. Unless your need a quick fix, a waste of time. (my opinion.)
4. Ad Hoc shows.
Run out of VFW/American Legion halls. Kinda nice. Cheap, free parking. Mainly individuals, few companies/dealers. Best way to find a deal as you can haggle with Vern over his old Garand. If he thinks you'll treat it right you might get a nice price.

So, check the republic and some local dealers before making the drive to make sure you get what you want. Also, stop by Dillion Precision if you haven't been there. VERY nice. Not a lot of stuff, but what they have is cheap. (Oh yea, they also have a few reloading items.) http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Eric
(Any other AZ TFL'ers please let me know if you think I'm incorrect, these are just from experiences over the years)

[This message has been edited by Eric Blair (edited November 11, 1999).]

Back