• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

member ratings

choochboost

A few weeks ago, I briefly saw a small icon next to the "report bad post" icon. I hovered over it which revealed that the icon correlated to the member rating. After I refreshed, it was no longer there. I know I'm not imagining this. What was that all about? Are the members rated?

I think members are rated on the amount of posts and threads they have.I dont think its like ,this guys a schmuck lol or this guys a gun God.
If you look under names in posts you see different member classifications.

It was briefly visible during a software reconfiguration. It is a "feechur" of the software which we do not use. IMO, ratings for threads is bad enough, ratings for members would be a train wreck.

The thing that American4guns is referring to is the "Member Status" of which there are three. Junior Member, Member and Senior Member. These correspond only to the number of posts a member has made.

-Dave

Thanks BluesMan for the explanation, and Tyme for the link. That's exactly what I was talking about.

Barr, only 5 more to go before you get the senior member distinction! :D

On the bodybuilding.com forums, they have points (reputation). In other words, if your very helpful or answer questions well, or make a great thread, you reputation increases. Likewise, if you are nasty and are not helpful at all (This board is actually very good with this), then you get negative rep points. I'd like to see something like this installed.

It's been discussed, but those rep systems tend to lead to people whining and playing ugly popularity games. I would not be in favor of introducing them here.

The idea is that you get positive rep for doing good things and negative rep for doing bad things. The reality tends to be that you get negative rep for not agreeing with people and positive rep for agreeing with them.

Back