Melting Remington Recoil pads

reynolds357

Anyone have any idea why Remington recoil pads melt to the floor in gun safes. I have had four different rifles do this in 3 different manufacturers safes.

Is there gun oil on the safe floor (or borecleaner , etc.). That will do it. Ate the foam out of one of my gunsafes. or might you have gotten some cleaning chemicals on the rifle or your hands? That will do it too.

Floor is clean. The Remington pads are the only ones doing it. Not their hard pads, but their high end soft pads. 2 Sendaro's and 2 Model 7's have done it.

You probably have a bunch of the original pads. There was some internet buzz about them melting. Supposedly, they changed the compound in later batches.

Probably have the old ones. I guess I am going to call Remingtons customer no service department and fuss with them a bit. The Sendaros are from the 90's. Come to think of it, the 7's are not very old, maybe 10 years at most.

Last edited:
What's on the floor of your gun safe?

Some types of man-made products (like foam rubber and some plastics) continually out-gas chemicals as they decay (starting the day they are made). Sometimes, those chemicals can 'attack' other plastic or rubber products and turn them into goo - on the surface, or throughout.

I've seen old pads, over time, crushed from gun weight.

Soft-padded rifles should probably be stored muzzle-down, with a piece of electrical tape (or similar protection) over the muzzle to prevent rust, wear.

The problem is not with how they are stored. The problem is a manufacturing defect. If you will Google "Remington R3 recoil pad" you'll see lots of posts about them deteriorating. The best thing to do is replace them. There have been some people who were successful at getting Remington to do the replacement, but that isn't something I would count on.

Aren't those Remington pads identical to ones made by/for one of the major pad companies, that are having the same problem?
There's one of those on my shotgun that is getting mighty gooey.

I don't know if they are the same pad or not. Maybe the materials came from the same supplier?

I personally don't like them. I've always been a Pachmayr man myself.

I've seen old pads, over time, crushed from gun weight.

I think that is what happened to a Winchester shotgun I had. It was stored in a typical padded gun case butt on the ground. I was kind of puzzled because that's the way the gun had been stored for years and years before it failed. Picher's explaination makes sense for my case.

What's probably happening is that a solvent or such is effecting the rubber. Are you rubbing them down with an oily cloth or some thing? Using a spray on cleaner?

Had this happen to the pad on a 700... Sent essentially a new gun that would not shoot back to them for a rebarrel.. They spilled something on the pad and it was starting to melt when I received it back from Ilion NY..

Last edited:
Call Remington that is what I did and they sent me a new one no charge said some had a problem others didn't
Roc1

Limbsaver recoil pads used to have this problem. It may have been a bad batch, but limbsaver replaced them and the newer version doesn't seem so afflicted.

Its the pad. As you stated, the other rifles are not doing this. If you cant get any satisfaction from Remington, you can get a much better pad from kick-eze, pachmyer, etc.

Picked up a new rifle brought it home and within 2 weeks it was gooo. Called up Remington and they shipped me a new pad along with a return label and I shipped the melted goop back to them. The replacement has been fine.

They know about them and should correct it.

I had the same problem about 3-4 years ago. Called Remington - they sent me a new one. The guy told me off the record there was a flaw in the manufacturing of some of the pads.

Had the exact problem with 2 Rem 700s. Called em up, about a week later I had new pads. The new ones have been fine.

Back