"melting" a pistol at home

Mike P. Wagner

No, I don't want to cast my own pistol; I hope that I'm using the right terminology.

I have a CZ-52, and I like shooting it a lot, but when my grip is fairly high (I've been reading Brian Enos's book), the angle between the back of the backstrap and the side the backstrop (or grip) smacks against my thumb knucke pretty hard,

I have thought about taking a file to it, and trying to round out that angle.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Should I give the weapon six months or so and see how I adjust to the grip?

The gun has a dull grey finish, which I think I've heard called "Parkerized", but also "grey phosphate". I'll oviously take that off by filing. If I keep that area coated with a light coat of oil, can I wait quite a while before I get it refinised?

How exactly do I the "filing". I assume that I'll start with a file, and move to finer and finer sandpaper?

Thanks for the info!

Mike P. Wagner

I'd use a fine round file if I was going to do it. Stick with fine. Although it may take longer, you will run way less risk of ruining a nice pistol. Also, I'd stay away from oiling anywhere you grip. It may result in a less firm grip.

File, Arkansas stone, emery and crocus cloth.

Start hacking away, while constantly muttering this mantra, "I can always take more off, but I can't put it back....."

Back