MEI LRNFP CAST vs LRNFP CAST load data

BondoBob

Can load data from MEI Cast be used interchangeably with Cast data of the same shape and weight bullet? I notice Hodgdon lists MEI LRNFP separately from LRNFP with different powders but about the same velocities. I understand MEI is just a brand "Meister", why do they get a separate section? Are their bullets any different than Hunters Supply Cast bullets? I'm making 357s 158gr, using 4" barrel model 686.

As long as the weight is basically the same, and the amount of the bullet that resides in the case is basically the same, there is no reason why the load data cannot be shared. When testing is done using a specific make of bullet, they list it as such. It's just the way things are done.

Don

The biggest concern would typically be the potential for a significant reduction in the free space above the powder and below the bullet (increase in load density). This matters most when the reference load already has a high load density.

This is typically not a problem for cast bullet loads in a 357 Magnum.

However, if you were talking something like a 9mm or a 40 S&W you might want to be more careful. For rounds like these, your best bet is to find bullet lengths. Adjusting AOL as needed to get the same load density should keep the pressure for your load real close to the pressure listed in the load data.

The general "start low and work your way up" advice is always warranted.

^^^Right! Seating depth and alloy hardness need to match pretty well to get identical results.

Seating Depth = Case Length + Bullet Length – COL

The other difference might be the BHN hardness between the two.

If you start low, as you work up, might find the softer of the two to start showing signs of leading. There again the same signs can show with the harder one as well.

Cast is a balancing act between size, hardness, lube, and pressure. Usually the hardness is the least of the issues in my experience. Size and lube usually play the biggest role.

Back