Meet "Steve McQueen"...

dos0711

aka the "Mares Laig" or "Mares Leg" depending on where your from...lol

My latest to it's way to my home...

file_zpsa61f59e5.jpg

.45 COLT

Now to practice practice practice

You can either hold it straight out or two hand it without shouldering it or hip shots. It's a novelty to be sure.

Apparently LaserLytes model 10/22 laser sight fits the rear dovetail and works very good.
I'm thinking of trying it myself.

Doc

I was just thinking about Steve and that rifle a few days ago. Couldn't think of the movie. Nice looking gun.

I never figured out how you hold and sight these when you shoot.
I found it to be somewhat accurate out to 25 yards holding out in front of you. OK we’re talking about 6 inches at best but it’s not that bad. From the hip at 15 it’s easy to keep then on a full sized torso target.
Not that I have done it but if you put the stock to your shoulder and use the sights,, you’re going to get hurt.
As a kid I used to watch the TV show Wanted dead or alive and had one of the toy guns that I must have dispatched over a thousand bad guys with.
This is by far the dumbest gun that I have ever owned, but at the same time the most fun. And with hot 44 mags it has a really wonderful sound. The other thing that I like about it is that it’s the first lever action 44 mag that will shoot specials without hanging up.

Last edited:
The entire three season dvd of the show is available from Amazon, 'etc.
All nearly 100 episodes.
In the show, the gun was supposed to be chambered for the 45-70 cartridges that McQueen carried in his belt loops.
But the gun actually was chambered for the pistol rounds he used to reload.
44-40 or 45, maybe.
Great show, though.

It's on my wish list but...

...down the list quite a bit. It would be fun to have and I'm sure it would be a hit with my buddies when I whip it out. It's not too practical but you have to admit you want to shoot it!
On a related note, I picked up a DVD set of the 1st two seasons of "Wanted Dead of Alive" at Wallyworld last year for a mere $7.

Just picked up one of these today in 45 Colt and put a leather wrap on the back, changed the leather piece on the saddle ring to a black strip of suede and wrapped the lever. I'm going to put in a stainless follower and taller front sight since these tend to shoot 10"-14" too high since Rossi puts the same sight on them as their standard rifles.

Site for the follower if you're interested: http://store.stevesgunz.com/

rossiranchhand.jpg

robhof

I loved the show and drooled over the gun as a kid, had a plastic replica for awhile, but it didn't hold up to a pre-teens gun play...ah the good old days of kids playing with realistic guns instead of pink or orange barreled mock ups.:eek::mad::confused:

Not sure you could Reuben Cogburn that thing without the weight of the stock...I'd like to give it a go sometime:cool:....unloaded of course:p

Thanks dos0711 picked them both up last fall at the last gun show that was in town.
I want to try and spin/flip cock it....
I tried it empty and the action is so stiff that it’s VERY difficult to the point that I would never try it loaded.
Put a leather wrap on the back,
Great idea, the metal but plate is the one thing I don’t like about it, it’s just too sharp. Think I might try the leather. Thanks for the idea.

Back