Medical Mistakes vs. Gun Control -- The Double Standard Exposed

Oscar

Dear friends,

Set forth below is another stellar contribution by the Claremont Institute, this one drawing interesting parallels between medical mistakes and gun control. Medical mistakes garner only luke-warm attention from the same high medical priests that are incited into a frothing rath over gun-related deaths (even though guns account for only a small fraction of the carnage directly caused by medical screw ups).

Of course, this double standard is totally predictable. Nonetheless, it's pretty infuriating. So the next time your pediatrician (or some other doctor) asks you about guns in the house or hands you a brochure that encourages you to remove your guns from the house and support gun control measures, assure him/her that you will take such matters under consideration (giving them all the attention they deserve, no doubt) but only after they start honestly owning up for and doing something about their own screw ups. Alternatively, you might simply (but respectfully ;) ) suggest that he or she shove it!

Oscar

If It Saves One Life
By Timothy Wheeler, M.D.

Guardians of public health have identified a new deadly threat to Americans--doctors and hospitals. In a dramatic press release, the prestigious Institute of Medicine recently announced "stunningly high rates of medical errors" resulting in death, disability, and unnecessary suffering. The Institute puts the annual death toll at the hands of doctors and hospitals as high as 98,000.

Aside from a halfhearted amen from the American Medical Association, response from medical leaders has been less than rousing. Curiously, no leaders of organized medicine have called for a ban on medical education or bars on hospital doors.

Of course they haven’t. That would be too extreme a response.

But if you substituted "guns" for "medical errors," the high priests of public health would be raising their familiar hue and cry for more gun control. Following the logic of gun-control activists, we should lock all the hospital doors and send doctors looking for other jobs. Such drastic action would be justified, the controllers often say, “if it saves only one life.”

By comparison, the death toll from gun accidents is insignificant. Fatal gun accidents across the nation have dropped to just over 1,000 annually, a tiny fraction of the Institute of Medicine's tally of the carnage wrought by doctors and hospitals. Even if we throw in gun homicides and suicides with the accidents, the total of firearm deaths is outnumbered by the total dead from medical treatments gone bad.

Why do medical experts rail at the ever-decreasing rate of accidental gun deaths, but remain silent about the far greater death toll from medical accidents?

It's no secret that deaths occur from medical mistakes. The 1991 Harvard Medical Practice Study yielded an even higher iatrogenic death count. Extrapolating from hospital deaths in New York State, researchers found that as many as 180,000 Americans die each year from medical mistakes. That is about the same, the study's principal author wrote, as "three jumbo jet crashes every two days."

Should we accept these accident rates as inevitable? Of course not. But neither should we allow the fact of human imperfection to be used to manipulate our feelings.

Reality insists that we view accident rates in their context. Doctors and hospitals save far more lives than they lose in accidents. It is now settled that firearms used responsibly save many more lives in self-defense than they take by crime or accidents. These realities show the phoniness of the "just one life" plea. Anyone who coyly mouths these three words as justification for new gun-control laws is practicing emotional flimflammery.

People make mistakes. But gun accidents have been on the wane for over 30 years. If the decline continues, they will soon number less than 1,000 per year. This encouraging trend is likely bolstered by the gun safety education provided by private firearm owner groups. The public service of these groups goes largely uncredited.

Doctors and hospital employees make mistakes. But despite public suspicions of cover-ups, we doctors regularly hold formal meetings to look into medical accidents, striving always to learn from them. This self-scrutiny is done increasingly under the probing eyes of plaintiff's lawyers and a throng of government agents, including sworn law enforcement officers.

So how can health-care professionals further lessen medical errors? We could adopt proven methods of error reduction from other high-risk industries, such as the airlines. Error analysis and system design are established methods for identifying and reducing accidents. Now that medicine is a high-volume service industry, such macro-scale quality control seems not only practical but also promising.

And how can health-care professionals advance their stated goal of reducing gun injuries? We could adopt time-tested methods of injury reduction from firearm-safety authorities. Countless state and local gun clubs are eager to work with community leaders to teach gun safety. For over a century, the National Rifle Association has taught firearm safety. The National Safety Council and several state governments have lauded the NRA for its Eddie Eagle gun-safety education program for children. The NRA commands great resources and an extensive community outreach for gun-safety instruction.

Instead of pushing gun control under the guise of gun safety as they now do, medical organizations could actually work with the true firearm experts. Then we could believe doctors' claims of concern for the safety of gun owners.

The question is not whether we should fear gun-owning citizens or scalpel-wielding doctors. Common sense tells us that we have nothing to fear from either. We can be confident that health-care workers are generally capable people of good will, and that law-abiding gun owners are, too.

Rather, we should fear the demagogues in white coats who try to manipulate our emotions with factoids and false statistics.

Timothy Wheeler, M.D., is the Director of Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, a Project of The Claremont Institute.

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited December 16, 1999).]

One local editorial writer pointed out that in two years, the medical establishment kills more Americans than the Germans and Japanese did in more than four years of total war.

We only lost 56,000 in ten years in VietNam -that's about 6-7 months worth of medical malpractice casualties.

Just one point of clarification. Mistakes by medical professionals, so long as they're human, are a fact of life (or, in this case, death). What bugs the hell out of me is their righteous indignation toward gun ownership and, at the same time, their comparative gross indifference to a MUCH bigger problem.

I wonder how the medical profession (as an institution) feels about the lawsuits against gun manufacturers? My hunch (based on casual observation only, so this may not be entirely fair) is that doctors generally like laws and regulations unless the laws or regulations are directed at them. I know how they institutionally feel about gun control -- Timothy Wheeler being in the minority I think.

S'funny, but every doctor I've talked to about guns likes them and complains bitterly about the hypocracy of the medical establishment.

The hysterics in AMA et al would have you believe that every person with a medical degree is aghast at the "gun problem" (personally, my only problem with guns is that I don't have enough) and despises gun owners. Ain't true. Not even *close* to true. Yeah, there are some docs who parrot the party line, but they're a minority.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Yeah, I think it's sort of like the cops you hear on the news vs. the rank-and-file. If you listened to the 6:00 news, you'd think cops were 10-1 in favor of gun control, when in fact, it's closer to the opposite.

Don't know how my doc feels about firearms - hasn't come up. But I do know he likes fast cars - he had 3 certificates from performance driving schools on his walls, and a ZR-1 Corvette in the parking lot. Don't see how he could be in favor of sports cars and against guns.

Back