Media actually treating a shooting fairly

CJ

Inactive
What the following story doesn't say is that apparently the robbers threatened to shoot the owner as he chased them. The owner obviously didn't handle the situation the way he should have, and in more liberal areas he would be crucified.
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/111099/met_1195943.html

They have already charged the accomplice with the robbers murder!

The Asst States Attorney they showed on TV last night said there was no law against chasing robbers. She definitely didn't look like she wanted to charge the store owner.

Yeah, and I cannot believe CBS's fair report last night of viewer mail they received on last week's story on smart guns. All three of the "sample" mails read on air were essentially pro-gun, either praising them for what the viewer felt was an unbiased story, or chastising them for not supporting the second like the first, but not a single comment praising the smart-gun technology itself. All in all, I think this was fair, but not MORE THAN fair, as it probably was an actual representative sample of the actual mail, nothing more or less, but not biased as it would have been from NBC or CNN.

The Jacksonville paper has a "post your response" to the article at the bottom. They also have a message board with local comments -- seems to be 50-50 in favor of the Good Guy.

While I question his tactic of going out in the street and firing his shotgun, I backed him for no other reason than I knew a bunch of the boo-hoo types would be taking him to task.

If you just want to read the responses, they're mixed in with other topics at -- http://cgi.jacksonville.com/cgi-bin/msgboard/boards/news/view.cgi?section=2395

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Did you notice the quote from the ACLU? Supporting the right of the individual to keep and bear arms? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, said people have the right to protect themselves and their families, even if it requires use of deadly force.[/quote]Mr. simon then goes on to say he didn't like the fact that the storekeeper chased the perp out into the street to shoot him, but to me, the "use of deadly force" part of Simon's quote is interesting.

------------------
"In many ways we are treated quite like men." Erich Maria Remarque

Back