mechanical earplugs?

mendozer

I've been looking into the custom molded style with either the sonic or hocks valve. One I saw stated that it lets normal noise through unfiltered and anything over 80 dB then gets converted down to normal speech (hocks filter). If this is true and effective, why would anyone pay for the electronic reducers? Is there any downside to the passive ones?

I used to use the old Sonic Ear Valves when skeet shooting, and they worked reasonably well but were never particularly comfortable and I always ended up with sore ears (not from noise, but from the plugs themselves) after an hour or so. The same thing is currently sold as Sonic Valve II and it looks like they may have improved the comfort factor a bit. One problem is that they only have an NRR of 18, which is pretty low compared to even cheap electronic muffs, and way below the NRR of 30 or more that the better foam plugs achieve.

I still have & use the original "sonic Ears" ones. They work fine outdoors, but are a little less effective indoors.
There are actually several "norton valve" models & the fitted ones are very comfortable as are the silicone rubber ones. You do have to use a correct technique putting them in, not just "shove them in the hole", though. If you're familiar with the "Reach over the top of the head, tug the earlobe & screw in" technique for industrial foam plugs that's the way to do it.

The plastic ones not so much they're quite abrasive in the ear.

I used to use the old Sonic Ear Valves when skeet shooting, and they worked reasonably well but were never particularly comfortable and I always ended up with sore ears (not from noise, but from the plugs themselves) after an hour or so. The same thing is currently sold as Sonic Valve II and it looks like they may have improved the comfort factor a bit. One problem is that they only have an NRR of 18, which is pretty low compared to even cheap electronic muffs, and way below the NRR of 30 or more that the better foam plugs achieve.

The OP is asking about CUSTOM MADE earplugs not off-the-shelf Sonic Valves. There is no comparison.

I'm not sure of the custom plugs you're referencing. I have a pair of "Chameleon Ears" made by E.A.R., Inc. that have a passive, impulse filter. They have a noise reduction rating of -32 dB to -33 dB.

They need to be custom fitted - don't try and do it yourself. I paid $145 for the ear plugs with the custom fitting. E.A.R. returns the molds so that you can have additional earplugs made from the molds - so it is really a one-time cost. If you contact E.A.R. they will put you in contact with a local dealer that can make the molds.

You can hear range commands and voices, but they are not like a pair of electronic earplugs. A pair of electronic earplugs that provide -32 dB of protection can cost from $400 to nearly $4,000 depending upon the sophistication of the amplifier circuit and whether they are custom molded or not.

Here's a link to E.A.R. website where you can look at a variety of molded ear plugs with electronic amplification.

Custom made plugs are far superior to any other type of ear plug noise protection as they fit from the interior of the ear canal to the outer ear area. The plugs fill part of the outer ear area (concha cavum), and that cuts down on bone sound conduction to the inner ear.

You can hear and feel the difference between foam plugs, or any type of simple ear canal plug and the molded plug with the outer ear protection.

Last edited:
The mechanical ones are just fine - I've used Sonics in the day, and have Surefires, which are a much better fit.

Compared to electronic plugs or muffs, the difference is that the electronic ones can amplify and still clip the peak decibels. You get enhanced hearing if that is your goal, whereas with mechanical plugs the overall volume is slightly diminished.

In competitive shooting this may not really matter, but hunting, the extended range of perception is a bonus. It also may go to being able to hear a pop up target mechanism release, vs waiting to see it and react. Competitors who shoot under the clock seem to predominantly use electronic muffs from what I perceive in photos. I think they are playing to an advantage.

On a long range precision position event, I would prefer to tune out most of the noise. The issue I had was losing a sense of time and hearing commands or sight in directions with plugs.

Food for thought.

I found the Sonics worked fine on an indoor range when I was by myself shooting 22LR out of handgun. When another shooter started shooting supersonic ammunition they weren't that effective.

Something to be aware of with mechanical valved plugs.

The NRR factor is horribly reduced as most NRR ratings are for CONTINUOUS noise which doesn't close the valve. Pulses (gunshots) will close the valve so don't let apparently horrible NRR ratings put you off.

Yeah I wasn't concerned about NRR as that's before the impulse control.

And yes I'm looking at custom ones not off the shelf. I already have the silicone baffle style. I want to hear normally + have gunshot protection. I don't require amplification above normal. My hearing's good enough.

Nice link on the Chameleons. I was looking at these

EDIT: Those Chameleons kick on over 140 db. Seems high no? Others work over 80

Last edited:
Be careful with some of the plugs.
I just got a pair of supposedly high dB rating and attached with a nice easy string between em. Which string pulled out of one of em last Wed and I hadda get the RO to help me get it out.
Embarassing.
Couldn't get it to grasp at all with SAK tweezers and prying CAREFULLY with a lil screwdriver.
Just tossed em. :mad:

Also had some issues with the ANCIENT Lee Sonics I useta use.
Occasionally, the valve body would pull out of the rubber and the rubber would stay in the ear.
Easier to grab though than this last pair.

Just bot a Peltor Tactical 100 electronic muff.
Gotta go try it now.

I have Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs and this is one of the best earplug on the market . These Eargasms take things further than earmuffs or foam protection. Instead of acting as a mechanical mechanism to completely block off all sound, the noise is filtered so that “good” sound can still go through

I found out the hard way that earplugs with mechanical valves need to cleaned once in awhile, or they stick and cease to function as designed.

Back