Measuring, Scoring and Howdy!

Jorbenweb

Inactive
First post, though I've been lurking a while now. I searched a bit, but couldn't seem to find the answer - probably because I was searching the wrong terms.

Well, recently I decided to get into some target shooting, mostly as a holiday from sporting clays and trap. I've never been much of a shot, but it seems like shooting rests and good optics make up for some of my inexperience. I was just wondering about the proper method of measuring my groups. Am I correct in assuming that I should measure from center-of-hole to center-of-hole? Also, with what should I measure? Calipers? And what the heck are scoring gauges used for, or rather how are they used?

Anyway, I'll shut up and read. Thanks for a good set of forums.

jorb

I usually just measure from the outside of the holes that are farthest apart and then subtract the diameter of the bullet, rather than try and find the center of the holes. Make sense?
And since it's just for me, I usually just use a ruler rather than calipers.

Groups are officially recorded as the distance center to center of the widest two shots. It is easier to measure from the outside edges and subtract one caliber but you have to be careful to know where the edge really is. Unless shooting something so accurate and so close as to get "one ragged hole" I measure from the inside edge of one wide shot to the outside edge of the other. I use a ruler graduated in tenths and record to the nearest .05", but then I am not a benchrest competitor.

The only scoring gauges I am familar with are for bullseye shooting and use a plug or a reticle to determine whether a shot touches the next higher scoring ring.

Years ago my brother was making “slides” for an overhead projector and made the gauge for me shown in the photos below. I have a little pocket tape measure in my range bag that I use most often. As Jim said it’s easiest to measure from outside to inside than center to center (photo1 vs. photo2).

Attachments

• DSC01508.JPG
    DSC01508.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01509.JPG
    DSC01509.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 16
We measure shot holes from the grease stain to find the edge of the actual shot hole vice a tear or inward pucker on our rifle and pistol qual ranges. Don't know if that's a Marine Corps order or not, but every range I've been on uses that method.

Scott
MSgt USMC
Somewhere in Iraq

Back