Measuring chamber on early-mid 20th century shotguns

saltydog452

How is this done?...privision for the star crimp to unfold adds ? to the chamber length?...do smoothbores have a 'forcing cone'?

Chamber length isn't stamped on the water table or anywhere else that I can find.

From what I think that I understand, if the action closes on a shotshell, that doesn't mean the chamber is cut for that length.

Thanks,

salty

Yes. A chamber should be as long as a shotshell with an unfolded crimp. For example. A 2.75" chamber is about 3" long since shell expands to 3" when the crimp unfolds. Hence, a 3" shell will fit a gun chambered for 2.75", but to fire the 3 out of it is risky.

Hull length (and thus chamber length) is the FIRED hull length, not the unfired hull length. Older guns can be anything from 2, 2-1/2, 2-9/16, or 2-3/4. Yes there is a forcing cone.

As previously asked, what gun and what gauge?

Unknown territory

Its a Lefever. Twelve bore SXS. It is not twist steel, but solid.

Sideplate reads "LEFEVER ARMS CO.,". The number 67XXX is stamped in the underside of the right barrel, on the water table, and on the metal that attaches the wood forend to the barrel set.

Its been heavily used, but not abused, is tight, and has bright bores.

I 'think' it was aquired by a family member late in the first third of the 20th Century. Dunno.

Although 'family' property, it deserves some time afield. Just don't know what to feed it.

Eventually, it will be passed on. Knowing the correct chambering would be a good thing.

Thanks,

salty

you could take a fired 2-3/4" shell and put a wood dowel or anything in it to hold the crimp open to full hull diameter and then see if it fits the chamber.

whadda ya tink?

I made a set of chamber gauges out of old credit cards back when I was selling guns. No one worried at a show if I wanted to measure chambers with a piece of plastic. They worked quite well.

Back