measuring BP or subsitute

redline02

Inactive
HI- I would like to know the best way to measure BP or a subsitute using a powder measure for the most consistant results. I have heard of shaking the measure to settle the powder,or tapping it a couple times... or is just poring it in and leveling it off the best way? Thanks in advance for you help.

The goal is consistency

Tapping the measure to "settle" the powder may allow a few more bits of powder to be added, since bp is measured by volume. However, the tiny amount you would add isn't really a significant amount compared to the whole charge.

You are right to try to achieve consistency, for that is the important goal. If you load the same way every time then you will obtain more consistent, trustworthy results and have more confidence in your guns and shooting ability.

Whether you tap the measure or shake it or just pour it in isn't really as important as doing it the same way every time. What's probably more important is that you also compress the load with the same force each time you load. Compression is important to getting a homogeneous charge and thus even, predictable burning through the charge.

Establish a routine and don't change without good reason, and if you do need to change, stay with the change for a long time also.

I tap my powder measure, then I top it off. As my rifle becomes more fouled, I tend to add just a little bit extra to compensate for any powder sticking to the interior of the barrel due to excess lube & fouling, barrel temperature etc...
I've heard that using a powder drop tube (for rifles) will help the powder charge flow more consistently into the breech with less of it sticking too. Supposedly many competition shooters use drop tubes so whatever load they do measure out will make it down to the breech in a nice pile.
Also, I believe that the finer granulated fffg powders measure better due to having less airspace. But since some rifles do prefer ffg, the benefit of using fffg isn't universal. :)

Last edited:
Back