Mean Radius Measurements

rjinga

I started looking for a target calculator program last night, and in the process I came across a term I hadn’t seen before, “mean radius measurement.” When I searched the term, I found this article that I thought was very informative and persuasive: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/512887_.html&page=1

During my search I also came across the following quote (in a sniper forum, I think): “Three shots test the ammunition; five shots test the weapon; ten shots test the shooter.” So, with that in mind, I went back to some targets that I shot over six months ago and ran them through a target program I’m trying out. After you set the scale and mark the shots, the program determines the center of the group and then draws the rectangle through the center-line of the two or three most outlying shots, and the circle from the center point using the mean radius.

I fired ten shots each at all four targets with a Century Arms C308 rifle. The ammunition was PPU, and I was shooting off of a table using only the iron sights. I know that the 50 yd target only shows nine shots (unless that double-shot hole is actually a triple-shot hole) and the 100 yd target only shows six shots. And, I realize that those missing shots would change the dimensions on the individual target, but I included them anyway.

626rgHH.jpg

XvizY2N.jpg

aFFgqh8.jpg

jCipSGf.jpg

ToZ6l6O.jpg

Last edited:
Back